+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I sponsor my boyfriend

Rachel Huang

May 12, 2016
Hi, guys

I am PR, and meet all requirements to be a sponsor. I have a boyfriend living outside Canada. We have been in common-law relationship for more than 1 year when we are outside Canada. We are not together now, can I sponsor him?

Or we have to be together in Canada, then I can sponsor him?

Thanks. :)

RapsFan905

Mar 16, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Rachel, when you say you are not together - do you mean not a couple?

RapsFan905

Mar 16, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have been in a common law relationship for greater than 1 year and have the documents to prove it (shared lease agreement, shared bills) you may sponsor him. However, if you have only been dating for 1 year but do not have any of the required documents then you will be ineligible to sponsor under common law. My wife and I were looking at common law sponsorship before and proving co-habitation is key. Hope this helps!

Rachel Huang

May 12, 2016
RapsFan905 said:
If you have been in a common law relationship for greater than 1 year and have the documents to prove it (shared lease agreement, shared bills) you may sponsor him. However, if you have only been dating for 1 year but do not have any of the required documents then you will be ineligible to sponsor under common law. My wife and I were looking at common law sponsorship before and proving co-habitation is key. Hope this helps!
Thanks. That really helps.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Rachel Huang said:
Hi, guys

I am PR, and meet all requirements to be a sponsor. I have a boyfriend living outside Canada. We have been in common-law relationship for more than 1 year when we are outside Canada. We are not together now, can I sponsor him?

Thanks. :)
How come in all your previous posts your story is completely different changing from being a PR, not being a PR, having a wife, etc? Are you asking on behalf of others??

To answer this question, if you've previously cohabited for 12 continuous months anywhere in the world, and have the documents to prove it, then you would be common-law and could sponsor your common-law partner. You can live apart after the 12 months qualifying time, however the longer the time you no longer live with your partner the more difficult it will be to prove the common-law relationship still exists.

Rachel Huang

May 12, 2016
Rob_TO said:
How come in all your previous posts your story is completely different changing from being a PR, not being a PR, having a wife, etc? Are you asking on behalf of others??

To answer this question, if you've previously cohabited for 12 continuous months anywhere in the world, and have the documents to prove it, then you would be common-law and could sponsor your common-law partner. You can live apart after the 12 months qualifying time, however the longer the time you no longer live with your partner the more difficult it will be to prove the common-law relationship still exists.

First, Thank you for your answer.
I am working as an immigration case worker, and starts taking immigration consultant program as well. This forum is a very good way to ask some questions, because there are a lot of experienced people, like you, are willing to answer the questions. Sometimes, when I read CIC website or books, and I am not really sure about some points, I will post questions here to looking for other people's opinion.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rachel Huang said:

Depends. Had the couple already been living together for at least a year when the one person became a PR?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Depends. Had the couple already been living together for at least a year when the one person became a PR?
Ooooh...good question! ;)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Rachel Huang said:
First, Thank you for your answer.
I am working as an immigration case worker, and starts taking immigration consultant program as well. This forum is a very good way to ask some questions, because there are a lot of experienced people, like you, are willing to answer the questions. Sometimes, when I read CIC website or books, and I am not really sure about some points, I will post questions here to looking for other people's opinion.
You should indicate in your posts you are asking on behalf of someone else, not pretending you are the person in question. Other posters routinely do a quick search of post history for some reference, and yours will confuse people.

As mentioned, you need to confirm exactly when your client became PR, and if at that time they were already common-law or not. And if so, if they declared their common-law partner in their own PR application.

Rachel Huang

May 12, 2016
Rob_TO said:
You should indicate in your posts you are asking on behalf of someone else, not pretending you are the person in question. Other posters routinely do a quick search of post history for some reference, and yours will confuse people.

As mentioned, you need to confirm exactly when your client became PR, and if at that time they were already common-law or not. And if so, if they declared their common-law partner in their own PR application.
Thanks. I will follow your suggestion.