+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I quit my job while waiting for PR?

muskwa

Dec 4, 2015
Hello all,

The subject line says it all.

Sadly I am not happy in my job anymore. I have been seeing it through for the past two years, 18 months of which I have had my PR application in process.

I'm working for a company that simply doesn't share the same values as me and I can't bear to work under such conditions anymore. I have been struggling through this for a long time now, being on an LMO and tied to this position. The challenge is that I have had to stay with this job because of its location. Simply put, I'm stuck here until I get PR.

But the wait has been so long for us, and I really am at the end of my tether. I want to leave my current position, because I am so unhappy, but I am scared of losing my status in the country as a worker. I'm not worried about losing the paycheque for now, I just don't know if I can quit and still get PR?

My whole life I dreamed of coming to Canada, I never imagined the immigration process would be like this :(

The good news is I had a request for additional documents already, which I was able to send right away. But still no MR yet. I am breaking in this job! What can I do? Should I just keep waiting or do I have the option of restoration of status if I quit?

OhWow

Oct 17, 2015
Yes, you can. Only the time prior to your application counts. Have you applied for a bridging open work permit or do you have one? Then you can look for another job. Remember, if you quit, you won't be entitled to receive EI.

muskwa

Dec 4, 2015
Hi OhWow, thanks for your reply.

I know my experience prior to my application is all good.

However, I don't know what my status will be if I quit my job as I'm on an LMO?

I will no longer be a worker, will I? Would I have to restore my status or change it to visitor? That's what I am not sure about.

kvrforum

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
muskwa said:
Hello all,

The subject line says it all.

Sadly I am not happy in my job anymore. I have been seeing it through for the past two years, 18 months of which I have had my PR application in process.

I'm working for a company that simply doesn't share the same values as me and I can't bear to work under such conditions anymore. I have been struggling through this for a long time now, being on an LMO and tied to this position. The challenge is that I have had to stay with this job because of its location. Simply put, I'm stuck here until I get PR.

But the wait has been so long for us, and I really am at the end of my tether. I want to leave my current position, because I am so unhappy, but I am scared of losing my status in the country as a worker. I'm not worried about losing the paycheque for now, I just don't know if I can quit and still get PR?

My whole life I dreamed of coming to Canada, I never imagined the immigration process would be like this :(

The good news is I had a request for additional documents already, which I was able to send right away. But still no MR yet. I am breaking in this job! What can I do? Should I just keep waiting or do I have the option of restoration of status if I quit?
You can change your status to Study Permit or Tourist.
As long as you filled the 12 month skilled work experience that is required for CEC EE, you may quit the job.. I believe.
The longer you work, the better it is but if you hate it and you have submitted CEC EE application, you can stop doing it.

But make sure you register at a cheap community college or vocational college which can give you a study permit so you can stay here.
or try Tourist VISA... it can allow you to stay here for 6 more months.

muskwa

Dec 4, 2015
Yes I have applied for BOWP but it has only been processing for a month and a half, so it is not close to being finalized.

muskwa

Dec 4, 2015
kvrforum thank you, I am not an Express Entry applicant, just old CEC.

I am thinking of changing my status to visitor as there are no colleges where I live. What do I do if I quit? Do I have to notify cic right away? Does my employer notify them? I am not sure where to find the correct information, maybe I should speak with the agents at the call centre?

kvrforum

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
muskwa said:
kvrforum thank you, I am not an Express Entry applicant, just old CEC.

I am thinking of changing my status to visitor as there are no colleges where I live. What do I do if I quit? Do I have to notify cic right away? Does my employer notify them? I am not sure where to find the correct information, maybe I should speak with the agents at the call centre?
Contact CIC first and figure out processing time and procedure of your visitor VISA.
I think you should look up on their site... I'm not an expert on this but the visitor VISA certainly allows up to 6 month of staying a year.
A local Immigration lawyer can give you better clue at charge of $100... but not sure. Maybe you can find it online.

Going to a cheap college or language school can give you a study permit that can extend your staying for more than a year.
You will have to attend from 9 am to 1 pm, four days a week though...

OhWow

Oct 17, 2015
muskwa said:
I will no longer be a worker, will I? Would I have to restore my status or change it to visitor? That's what I am not sure about.
When will you current closed work permit expire? If it is valid for 4 months or less, you can apply for a bridging open work permit and then you can remain in Canada as a worker and do whatever you want, even work self-employed.

muskwa

Dec 4, 2015
OhWow my BOWP application will be in process for another 3 months. My current permit expires in May. I have job opportunities available to me once I have open work permit or PR, whichever comes first, however it could be a few more months for both, at least. In the meantime I am just a foreign worker on an LMO.

OhWow

Oct 17, 2015
muskwa said:
OhWow my BOWP application will be in process for another 3 months. My current permit expires in May. I have job opportunities available to me once I have open work permit or PR, whichever comes first, however it could be a few more months for both, at least. In the meantime I am just a foreign worker on an LMO.
Well then, you can quit your job and wait until you get your BOWP or keep your job and wait for your BOWP. To be honest, the latter is the better option to not create a gap in your resume and having to explain yourself to new employers, who will always be skeptical. I know what it is like to be in a job that I want nothing else but to escape from, but since you will get your BOWP, I would hang in there. It feels so much more liberating to leave the job with a new job at hand and the official freedom in terms of a BOWP in your hand.

opolosis

Mar 31, 2015
muskwa said:
The way you sound frustrated says it all. I will just quit if you feel you are good to remain without a job for the few months to getting your BOWP. You seem quite OK with money and other little resources at your disposal. If you are a professional and you feel compromised on ethics, you might just throw in the towel and stay away,while you use your brain for better thing than just returning everyday from work miserable.

I really share your worries about staying in Canada and being legal too. I share OhWow's advise. Wait for the BOWP, its gonna come out positive. Then you are better off happier with those other job offers coming your way.

Have a good one. I really do share your worries/concerns though

muskwa

Dec 4, 2015
Thank you so much for your replies. It can feel so isolating being a foreign worker sometimes, I didn't even realize I sound frustrated.

I found out today my manager has been lying to me about some issues I really can't accept lies about. I want to be able to say 'that's it, I'm done' but I have to take into consideration my paperwork and my legal status. It is very challenging emotionally, especially as I thought I would have my PR by now.

I think I am going to wait. It seems like many people are getting to the end of their applications, things are finally moving for us. It is surely a final test!

opolosis

Mar 31, 2015
muskwa said:
Thank you so much for your replies. It can feel so isolating being a foreign worker sometimes, I didn't even realize I sound frustrated.

I found out today my manager has been lying to me about some issues I really can't accept lies about. I want to be able to say 'that's it, I'm done' but I have to take into consideration my paperwork and my legal status. It is very challenging emotionally, especially as I thought I would have my PR by now.

I think I am going to wait. It seems like many people are getting to the end of their applications, things are finally moving for us. It is surely a final test!
Yes, I will agree ts better to wait, but the way you sounded scared me..Haha. Honestly, we are all almost there. All the best

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
muskwa said:

As far I know your WP still allowing you to stay in Canada even after work termination.

If you really want to get out you could ask Provincial Inmigration/work services to get advise.

I believe best chance for you is to wait until get BOWP to start to find a new job before quit.

Have you ever consider address your issues to your manager's supervisor? It's possible?

Note than perhaps it's not worthy at this point but working on closed WP with LMO you can apply to EE.

Good luck!

Priya Kapoor

Nov 1, 2016
OhWow said:
Yes, you can. Only the time prior to your application counts. Have you applied for a bridging open work permit or do you have one? Then you can look for another job. Remember, if you quit, you won't be entitled to receive EI.
I worked as a skilled worker for 1 year (NOC B). when my work permit was about to expire i submitted my Profile in express entry .I received ITA after 2 days.Currently i am tourist visa.hopefully this does not effect my Final processing .I am waiting for DM.