+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I my spouse apply for a work permit if she enter Canada as a visitor?

nouveau

Oct 28, 2016
Hi,

I recently got approved for my PGWP (I got an approval letter but still not receive my PGWP yet) and I began to work 3 months ago - since January.

I intend to bring my wife and my daughter here as visitors as first, and later my wife will apply for a work permit. I am wondering if she can apply for it from inside Canada or not as she will enter as a visitor?
The information in the link here is not really clear for me: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=172&top=17

Does that possible if my wife apply for a work permit now (apply from France) instead of visitor visa - as I just receive the approval letter but not my PGWP yet?

Which category should my wife apply for? Work permit, work permit extension (new employer)?

I would appreciate hearing your opinion on this.

Thanks,
Tan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does your wife and child already have TRVs? It may be difficult to get and you would have to apply for SOWP from France.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

I recently got approved for my PGWP (I got an approval letter but still not receive my PGWP yet) and I began to work 3 months ago - since January.

I intend to bring my wife and my daughter here as visitors as first, and later my wife will apply for a work permit. I am wondering if she can apply for it from inside Canada or not as she will enter as a visitor?
The information in the link here is not really clear for me: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=172&top=17

Does that possible if my wife apply for a work permit now (apply from France) instead of visitor visa - as I just receive the approval letter but not my PGWP yet?

Which category should my wife apply for? Work permit, work permit extension (new employer)?

I would appreciate hearing your opinion on this.

Thanks,
Tan
Your wife cannot apply for a work permit until you receive your PGWP.

More importantly, she can apply for a SOWP only if are employed in a NOC 0, A, B occupation + after you have at least three pay slips + she must include your employment letter that states your responsibilities

nouveau

Oct 28, 2016
thanks for the answers Bryanna and Canuck78, my wife still not apply for the TRV yet - but it will take only two weeks to apply from France, if she apply for an SOWP it will probably take 3 months - like me.

In the website I mentioned, there is a paragraph saying that:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=172&top=17
"
Only in some cases. You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

• you, your spouse or parents have a valid study or work permit,
  • you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job,
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or
  • you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.
"
Not sure if this is the case for my wife or not?

I works as a postdoc at UBC (NOC A), already got more than 3 pay slips and I had an offer letter from UBC - I guess that is sufficient?

So which is better, apply for a SOWP from France or come here as a visitor and then apply for SOWP?

Thanks guys for the advice again!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That’s what I thought. I don’t think you realize how difficult it may be for your wife (and child?) to get a TRV. They are living in France so don’t have strong ties to Vietnam plus you are in Canada on a PGWP so they likely aren’t genuine visitors and will remain in Canada. You may be forced to apply for SOWP while they remain in France.