+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I move my Refugee claim file form Montreal to Toronto ?

A Jay

May 25, 2020
Hi,

I am an asylum seeker in Montreal, arrived with my husband and son in Canada last year around May 2019 and we filed in Montreal as we have just been through so much already and it seemed like a good place to start to raise a family and we realized rents were cheaper. We just submitted the basis of claim and were assigned a legal aid lawyer but haven't yet heard anything on the hearing date.
Things got difficult when we started settling down in Montreal. We dont speak french and everything almost all communication from everywhere (be it hydro or my son's school) we receive is in french. My son was only allowed to attend a french school, the school is great but his homework is a project for my husband and I every single day. My husband has not been able to secure even a minimum wage job until now. I was lucky to find a contractual job where I didn't require a lot of french now that job has ended.
My question: Can we move our claim files to Toronto or anywhere else in an English speaking province and how to do that ? should we start looking for jobs there ? or should we speak with our lawyer first .

Any and all help will be highly appreciated - I am going out of my mind thinking of how to go about this.

Thank you

Reactions: luckyrefugee

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am an asylum seeker in Montreal, arrived with my husband and son in Canada last year around May 2019 and we filed in Montreal as we have just been through so much already and it seemed like a good place to start to raise a family and we realized rents were cheaper. We just submitted the basis of claim and were assigned a legal aid lawyer but haven't yet heard anything on the hearing date.
Things got difficult when we started settling down in Montreal. We dont speak french and everything almost all communication from everywhere (be it hydro or my son's school) we receive is in french. My son was only allowed to attend a french school, the school is great but his homework is a project for my husband and I every single day. My husband has not been able to secure even a minimum wage job until now. I was lucky to find a contractual job where I didn't require a lot of french now that job has ended.
My question: Can we move our claim files to Toronto or anywhere else in an English speaking province and how to do that ? should we start looking for jobs there ? or should we speak with our lawyer first .

Any and all help will be highly appreciated - I am going out of my mind thinking of how to go about this.

Thank you
You will need to change lawyers if you move. Expect to pay double or triple the rent in Toronto.

A Jay

May 25, 2020
I understand its much more expensive but at least we will find jobs which wont require French???

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto
Change the location of your hearing
Submit an application at least 20 days before the hearing
*The RPD will only agree to do so in certain circumstances. In deciding, it will consider
  • whether you are residing in the location where you want the hearing to be held;
  • whether a change of location would allow the proceeding to be full and proper;
  • whether a change of location would likely delay the proceeding;
  • how a change of location would affect the Division's operation;
  • how a change of location would affect the parties;
  • whether a change of location is necessary to accommodate a vulnerable person; and
  • whether a hearing may be conducted by means of live telecommunication with the claimant.
And yes you can find a job in Toronto. Everyone speaks English

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand its much more expensive but at least we will find jobs which wont require French???
There are so many refugees are currently homeless in Toronto so I am just warning you that moving to Toronto without jobs is very difficult and so is securing an apartment due to low low vacancy rate especially without a job. There are lots of other cities in Canada you can also consider.

rozana21

Aug 31, 2019
Hi,

Thank you
You can move to cities within one hour from Toronto like Guelph Kitchener Hamilton jobs available .. process of claims faster in Ontario than Montreal

Reactions: A Jay

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
well i will tell you what I know about this, I entered Montreal March last year and make my claim but when I got my work permit I moved to Alberta
Hi,

Thank you
Well i know for sure that you can move your case to any Provence of your choice. I entered Montreal March 2019 and as soon I got my work permit I moved to Alberta I updated my address but didn't move my case so I get every mail that the government sent to me. My lawyer is still in Montreal and she also get copies of every mail too. But I will advise you not to move your case because Montreal treat the Refugees different from other Provence because they are use to Refugees. There is so many benefits that you will get in Montreal which you may not get elsewhere but when it comes to jobs . I think English speaking part will be much favorable for anyone that speaks English. It will cost you money to travel to Montreal whenever they schedule your hearing but I think the outcome will be better. Because my was. And I wish you guys all the best of luck.

A Jay

May 25, 2020
Thank you everyone who took the time out to respond to my query.
well i will tell you what I know about this, I entered Montreal March last year and make my claim but when I got my work permit I moved to Alberta

Well i know for sure that you can move your case to any Provence of your choice. I entered Montreal March 2019 and as soon I got my work permit I moved to Alberta I updated my address but didn't move my case so I get every mail that the government sent to me. My lawyer is still in Montreal and she also get copies of every mail too. But I will advise you not to move your case because Montreal treat the Refugees different from other Provence because they are use to Refugees. There is so many benefits that you will get in Montreal which you may not get elsewhere but when it comes to jobs . I think English speaking part will be much favorable for anyone that speaks English. It will cost you money to travel to Montreal whenever they schedule your hearing but I think the outcome will be better. Because my was. And I wish you guys all the best of luck.
If we dont move our file and just find jobs in Ontario move - thats alright ? I thought there is some process I would have to follow in order to move out of the province? So all that is needed is finding a job and moving then updating my address with all entities here in Montreal ?
Is this faster and more convenient ?
If we moved the file that would take longer?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017

I assume you are paying for your lawyer then? Because if you are using legal aid, you are no longer eligible for it because you do not reside in Quebec. You need to be using Alberta's legal aid.

Thank you everyone who took the time out to respond to my query.

If we dont move our file and just find jobs in Ontario move - thats alright ? I thought there is some process I would have to follow in order to move out of the province? So all that is needed is finding a job and moving then updating my address with all entities here in Montreal ?
Is this faster and more convenient ?
If we moved the file that would take longer?
https://www.aidejuridiquedemontreal.ca/en/how-to-apply/am-i-eligible/

You will need to give up legal aid and pay for your own lawyer if you do not reside in Quebec anymore.

A Jay

May 25, 2020
I assume you are paying for your lawyer then? Because if you are using legal aid, you are no longer eligible for it because you do not reside in Quebec. You need to be using Alberta's legal aid.

You will need to give up legal aid and pay for your own lawyer if you do not reside in Quebec anymore.
Ok I understand , we would need our own lawyer in Montreal but will have to give up legal aid. That is all. I dont have to inform IRB that I want to move or anything else if the file remains in Montreal ?

Apologies for all the questions, due to Covid I am not even getting through to any other offices like IRCC or IRB. Even my lawyer has not been able to get in touch with me. Thanks for all your support.

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020

Oh yes my lawyer cost me more than 4K , perhaps once they find out your working they will start billing you like your running away but that's when they get more serious in getting your job done. My lawyer noticed that I work two jobs she was just billing me but I know already that it's going to be like that.

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
Oh yes my lawyer cost me more than 4K , perhaps once they find out your working they will start billing you like your running away but that's when they get more serious in getting your job done. My lawyer noticed that I work two jobs she was just billing me but I know already that it's going to be like that.
It will be good if your husband can make the first move to get a job and secure a place for you guys to live in that way it won't be a lot of stress for the family, Because some jobs requires that you have to be there in person. And another thing is that Montreal has a very good transportation service unlike Vancouver and Alberta you literally have to get your own car to get some job because sometimes its an issue. I remember when I came down here I keep searching for jobs and when they ask me do you have a car I say no ! I won't get the job but once I bought a Car I got two jobs

A Jay

May 25, 2020
It will be good if your husband can make the first move to get a job and secure a place for you guys to live in that way it won't be a lot of stress for the family, Because some jobs requires that you have to be there in person. And another thing is that Montreal has a very good transportation service unlike Vancouver and Alberta you literally have to get your own car to get some job because sometimes its an issue. I remember when I came down here I keep searching for jobs and when they ask me do you have a car I say no ! I won't get the job but once I bought a Car I got two jobs
Thank you so much for this -its very helpful.