File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can a refugee go back to his country after getting citizenship?

According to Geneva Convention Refugee Act a host country can take back their citizenship or PR if the former refugee ever go back country he fled from, Scandinavian countries use that article to strip citizenship and PR and turn them away at point of entry.
Canada allows refugees to return to their home countries after citizenship. It's not an issue in Canada.

However returning to the home country pre-citizenship (while still a PR) can certainly be an issue and can trigger revocation of PR status.

Once someone is a citizen and has a Canadian passport, they are good to go.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For future reference:

"Can a refugee go back to his country after getting citizenship?

According to Geneva Convention Refugee Act a host country can take back their citizenship or PR if the former refugee ever go back country he fled from, Scandinavian countries use that article to strip citizenship and PR and turn them away at point of entry".

You came to Canada as a refugee, you have no reasons to go back home. Canada is your home now, period.
They can go back for sure, but they can also lose their citizenship because of it. I don't give a fuck about your opinion when I have the Geneva Convention Refugee Act backing up my statement. Also, fuck you, you faggot!
NO. NOT Canadian citizenship.

To be clear, Canada can NOT "take back" citizenship from a former refugee. This is not an opinion. This is Canadian law.

In Canada, under current law, the only ground for revoking (or taking back) a grant of citizenship is misrepresentation. Period.

While Geneva Convention rules might allow a country to have laws that will "take back" citizenship based on grounds similar to what constitutes grounds for termination of refugee or protected person status (UNHCR provisions), Canada's laws DO NOT allow Canadian citizenship to be terminated, withdrawn, revoked, or taken back on these grounds.

Once a person who had refugee or protected person status under the UNHCR becomes a Canadian citizen, they are no longer a refugee or protected person.

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
I think you went through secondary screening. :)
It's scary for the first time but it's not a big deal.
You are now a Canadian citizen. No worries. Canada won't take away your citizenship...

thank god

Star Member
Jan 1, 2022
I actually am in a huge confusion. Me and my wife were refugee claimants and we got my PR through a temporary public policy for refugee applicants working in healthcare sector during the COVID-19 pandemic. As the final step for granting PR IRCC asked me to withdraw my claim. We withdrew and got PR so we are not protected persons or conventional refugees . So could my wife, who is my dependant, and son, who is an in-born canadian citizen, travel to our home country after getting passport, which we already got. Is there any immigration lawyer known to anyone who can help me out in this situation?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I actually am in a huge confusion. Me and my wife were refugee claimants and we got my PR through a temporary public policy for refugee applicants working in healthcare sector during the COVID-19 pandemic. As the final step for granting PR IRCC asked me to withdraw my claim. We withdrew and got PR so we are not protected persons or conventional refugees . So could my wife, who is my dependant, and son, who is an in-born canadian citizen, travel to our home country after getting passport, which we already got. Is there any immigration lawyer known to anyone who can help me out in this situation?
Is there an issue?

thank god

Star Member
Jan 1, 2022
Is there an issue?
My dad passed away in 2021 and he never saw his grandson. I just want my son to visit his grave. I also have never been to his grave but I would like him to light a candle their and also his great grand mother is not well