+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i leave canada while waiting for bowp on maintained status?

enguyen302

May 23, 2021
Hi,
I have a valid work permit which expires in August 20, 2023. I submitted an application for for Express entry cec in October 2022, AOR received on Nov 20, 2022, then I applied for BOWP on Jan 31 2023 but 2 days later I received a letter (WP-EXT except PGWP) stating that I’m authorized to work till June 01 2023 and if I leave canada i will no longer be authorized to continue working.

Do you know if I leave Canada for 2 weeks and come back (anytime before my PGWP expires), will I still be authorized to work? I’m just so confused cause my PGWP is valid till August 2023 and I’ve been travelling in and out of canada for work with no issues in the past 6 months. Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I have a valid work permit which expires in August 20, 2023. I submitted an application for for Express entry cec in October 2022, AOR received on Nov 20, 2022, then I applied for BOWP on Jan 31 2023 but 2 days later I received a letter (WP-EXT except PGWP) stating that I’m authorized to work till June 01 2023 and if I leave canada i will no longer be authorized to continue working.

Do you know if I leave Canada for 2 weeks and come back (anytime before my PGWP expires), will I still be authorized to work? I’m just so confused cause my PGWP is valid till August 2023 and I’ve been travelling in and out of canada for work with no issues in the past 6 months. Thanks
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the obvious?

Reactions: Naturgrl

araman5

Feb 8, 2023
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

Who can apply for a BOWP
To be eligible, you must

• live in Canada (and intend to live outside Quebec) at the time you apply for your BOWP
    • You can leave Canada while we process your application.
    • However, if you leave Canada after your work permit expires, you can’t work until your new application is approved.
According to this it appears that you would be able to leave Canada. But the WP-EXT except PGWP letter seems to negate this.

Donnaedwards

Feb 13, 2023
You can leave Canada while we process your application. However, if you leave Canada after your work permit expires, you can't work until your new application is approved.

A78945612

Star Member
Feb 15, 2023
That doesn't even make sense... your BOWP should help you maintain your status after your PGWP expires, now it doesn't help at all.

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
That doesn't even make sense... your BOWP should help you maintain your status after your PGWP expires, now it doesn't help at all.
Maintained status is when BOWP is under process, and the PGWP expires. But the maintained status is lost if a person leaves the country and comes back while under maintained status. They can start working again once the BOWP is approved.

asa26

Jan 23, 2024
You can leave Canada while we process your application. However, if you leave Canada after your work permit expires, you can't work until your new application is approved.
what if I leave Canada and come back just 2 days before my PGWP expires, will that be an issue on the port of entry when I come back?