+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I hold Indian passport after having Canadian citizenship?

bananitin

Mar 15, 2018
Hi,
I am in process of getting PR for Canada, but I have few doubts.

Q1 Do I need to give up my Indian passport, once I become Canadian citizen.
Q2 And is it possible to keep renewing my Canadian PR after every 5 years rather than taking up for citizensip?

lkva

Star Member
Mar 13, 2018
Canada allows dual citizenship, so what you need to find out is (if you haven't yet done it so), if India also allows it or not.
Nobody will force you to apply for citizenship, if you do not want to become a Canadian citizen.

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
A1. Yes. India does not allow dual citizenship. You will have to surrender your Indian passport to the nearest consulate. You can then apply for an OCI card which gives you all the rights of Indian citizenship except voting rights and running for office. Basically its an Indian PR.

A2. Yes.

bananitin

Mar 15, 2018
A1. Yes. India does not allow dual citizenship. You will have to surrender your Indian passport to the nearest consulate. You can then apply for an OCI card which gives you all the rights of Indian citizenship except voting rights and running for office. Basically its an Indian PR.

A2. Yes.
Thank you.
So, Is it correct if a individual keep renewing Canadian PR rather going for Canadian citizenship to avoid giving up Indian passport?

bananitin

Mar 15, 2018
Th
Canada allows dual citizenship, so what you need to find out is (if you haven't yet done it so), if India also allows it or not.
Nobody will force you to apply for citizenship, if you do not want to become a Canadian citizen.
Thank you.
I'm in plan to keep renewing Canadian PR to avoid losing Indian passport. That is possible. Right?

charanbir

Star Member
Aug 3, 2013
India
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...