+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I go to Canada using the student visa if I haven't enrolled?

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
I already received my passport with my student visa for January 2020 intake. Class registration and enrollment starts on November. I plan to fly to Canada already by October. I will just enroll on campus when I'm there.

Will this be an issue with immigration when I land in Canada? Do they look for proof of enrollment? Right now I only have my proof of deposit payment and letter of acceptance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
More to the point how will you show CBSA that you can support yourself financially October through January without working ? General expectation is that students arrive 3-4 weeks before classes start not 2-3 months even though that is a guideline only not a rule..

meghdee

Star Member
May 1, 2019
My letter from IRCC says don't enter Canada before 3 weeks. If you arrive in October, they could send you back home and tell you to come back in December. I wouldn't risk it.

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
More to the point how will you show CBSA that you can support yourself financially October through January without working ? General expectation is that students arrive 3-4 weeks before classes start not 2-3 months even though that is a guideline only not a rule..
I plan to leave after enrollment and just go back before class starts. I can show them my return ticket which is just 1 week after my arrival. I can also show funds to support myself for the 3 months before school, if needed. But I don't intend to stay. Enroll, talk to the school advisor, then return for the time being.

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
My letter from IRCC says don't enter Canada before 3 weeks. If you arrive in October, they could send you back home and tell you to come back in December. I wouldn't risk it.
My letter doesn't say anything like that. Not sure why. I know of a few friends who went to Canada more than a month before school started. No issue. But they were enrolled already.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I plan to leave after enrollment and just go back before class starts. I can show them my return ticket which is just 1 week after my arrival. I can also show funds to support myself for the 3 months before school, if needed. But I don't intend to stay. Enroll, talk to the school advisor, then return for the time being.
Where are you from ?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Philippines
Why do you need to come early to enrol ?

International students need not worry about that as you’re automatically enrolled.

I have really never heard about that before.
Once you pay your fee you’re automatically enrolled, I did my enrolment online as we had to register for the term.

CBSA may deny entry, ask you why you’re coming early.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
If you were from the States, that wouldn’t be an issue, but you’re coming all the way from PHL, which might make the CBSA officer think to as why you’re coming for enrolment when usually everyone gets to register for their term online.

Just my 2 cents.