+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can i go out of canada on January 2011, if my work permit expires in May2011?

michan

Oct 26, 2010
hi im a live-in caregiver here in Ontario. been working for almost 2 1/2 years with the same employer. i applied for my PR last Aug and Open work permit same month but on the last week. whats bothering me is, i have plans of visiting my family in the Philippines this January, but i don't think my PR application is going to be done by then and my open work permit will expire in may 2011. can i still go back here in Canada with out jeopardizing my PR application?and how can i do it? i don't think my application for extension and open work permit will be done by January. can i still go out of Canada by January even if my work permit will expire May2011? please... i need your help on what to do. is there any way i can speed up my extension and open work permit process? Thanks!

wsongco

Nov 7, 2010
montreal
Visa Office......
CPC VERGREVILLE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Interview........
24-04-2013 CAQ
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
yes as long as you have valid work permit when you came back.. and make sure you have to apply for a re-entry visa from philippines and a letter from your present employer that your still working for them.

michan

Oct 26, 2010
thanks wsongco for your help...
can i get the re-entry in buffalo instead? im going home january, when is the best time to apply for re-entry visa? thanks... if they give me re-entry visa, does that mean they are allowing me to re-enter canada even if my Open work permit, PR are in process and the permit i have on hand is just good for 3 months after i went back? thanks i really appreciate it. i asked someone from canada office if i can go for a visit in the Phil. then she told me that there is a chance i might lose all the months i've spent here and start all over again. much worse she told me that there is also a chance that i will not be allowed to enter canada again. thats why i got scared. i wish there is a site which tells how caregivers can have their vacation leave while their PR and Open work permit are in process. so that we'll not have to depend on hear, say information.

wsongco

Nov 7, 2010
montreal
Visa Office......
CPC VERGREVILLE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Interview........
24-04-2013 CAQ
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
michan said:
thanks wsongco for your help...
can i get the re-entry in buffalo instead? im going home january, when is the best time to apply for re-entry visa? thanks... if they give me re-entry visa, does that mean they are allowing me to re-enter canada even if my Open work permit, PR are in process and the permit i have on hand is just good for 3 months after i went back? thanks i really appreciate it. i asked someone from canada office if i can go for a visit in the Phil. then she told me that there is a chance i might lose all the months i've spent here and start all over again. much worse she told me that there is also a chance that i will not be allowed to enter canada again. thats why i got scared. i wish there is a site which tells how caregivers can have their vacation leave while their PR and Open work permit are in process. so that we'll not have to depend on hear, say information.
w.ww.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/caregiver-faq15.asp

i hope this link helps..i dont thinks so it will affect your application when you go home. if i were you..i will apply for another one year of work permit (extend your work permit under live-in caregiver program) you might be out of status.

michan

Oct 26, 2010
thanks for the link. i've read it. ;D

i did apply for open work permit but i dont think it will be done by January... i send it last Aug 30 but until now, when i phone the cic hotline to check on my application status for my open work permit application it doesn't say anything. they dont even have the information if they already received it. tomorrow i will try to ask someone by phone, hopefully i can get some info. thanks again.

i've read one of your post here, i think our PR application will be process the same time cause mine was Aug and yours is nov. gud luck to both of us. :D

tinkermarie

Star Member
Oct 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello, I just heard from a friend today that the immigration told to the live-in caregiver who applied for PR that they could not go back home for a vacation while the application for PR is on process..is this true?I going for a vacation on december and I am a bit scared about this issue. Please help me..thanks

michan

Oct 26, 2010
we have the same dilemma. until when is your work permit valid? do you have multiple entry visa?

tinkermarie

Star Member
Oct 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi michan, my work permit valid until October 30, 2011 and I have a multiple entry visa which is valid until April 19, 2011. if you all know about this issue please share it to us, I am going to pass my application next week. thanks:)

jarlin0213

Nov 8, 2010
exactly we are the same situation dear. I submitted my PR and Open work permit application this August. My working permit expired already last Nov 7, 2010. I phoned immigration if still need to renew my working permit and said "No, just wait Open permit approve". All the date of my docs e.g. SIN, Medicare, Working permit are based on my passport date which means my passport expired also. I went to Ottawa Phil. embassy to renew my passport but they gave it to me extension for 2 yrs until July 2012 (which was new amendments last april 2010). Hope still valid for continuance processing my application. My problem arose this... I'll be taking my vacation on Feb. up to March 2011 (already bought my ticket!) I pray by then i will get my open permit so i can apply my re entry visa to go back here in canada for my same employer. Does anybody has idea it will possible to grant my application? need your help so i can have peace of mind.

wsongco

Nov 7, 2010
montreal
Visa Office......
CPC VERGREVILLE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Interview........
24-04-2013 CAQ
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
hope for the best or....cancel your trip :(

michan

Oct 26, 2010
@ jarlin0213 --- good luck on your open work permit. when did you submit your paper? they said it will take 82 days, but I'm not sure because, if you submitted PR and OWP the same time, they say you have to wait for the first stage of PR approval before they release OWP. hope you receive it on time for you vacation.

that's why i didn't buy my ticket yet...

lenc

Nov 8, 2010
jarlin0213,

if you ask me, better extend your work permit. i know it will be additional expense because you have to pay $150 for work permit extension again but atleast you'll be sure to have a valid work permit on hand by march when you apply for re~entry visa.
having a valid work permit on hand also protects your status here in case of unforeseen events like if your employer suddenly terminates you.
it is our responsibility to keep our status legal during our stay here as foreign workers so i think $150 is a small price to pay to give you a valid status and peace of mind.

the agent must have told you no need to extend your expired work permit since you're just waiting for your open permit because he doesnt know that you're planning to leave canada for a trip to pinas.
your implied status right now is ok if you wont be travelling but since you will exit canada, then you need a valid work permit & letter from employer to apply for re~entry visa.

and with the long delay in PR and OWP processing right now, i doubt if you'll get an OWP before you leave in february.
it is now taking almost 10months for first stage approval.

sydneywhite

Star Member
Aug 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi! Just to share with you my experience...
I applied for my OPEN WORK PERMIT & PRV April 2010 & it started processing July 9,2010. My Work Permit expired NOV.2,2010. I called CIC & asked if I can still renew my Work Permit since I have plans of having a vacation but they said that it's not needed as long as I will come back before the expiration of my Work Permit & I have a valid Re-entry Visa.
I applied for Multiple Entry Visa last August 8,2010 at Buffalo & got it back 1st wk of Sept. w/c is valid only up to OCT.31, 2010, basically they based the validity of my re-entry VISA to the expiration of my WORK PERMIT. So, I went back to Manila for a vacation, Sept.12 & came back in Toronto October 27, 2010.
I've been on-hold at the Immigration in the Pearson Airport because there are only 6days left for the validity of my Work permit, though I told the 1st Officer that I already have submitted my application for OWP & PRV last April but still asked me to be screened by another Immigration Officer. I got so nervous but instead of worrying, I prayed that whatever would happen it's gonna be the will of God! Since I have heard that there are cases where the Immigration Officers never allow the returning LIVE-IN CG (from vacation at his/her home country) to ENTER CANADA again.
Then the 2nd Immigration Officer checked my status on the Computer, he told me that I am close to the finish line & confirmed that my application is still in process so he said: "OKAY, I WILL LET YOU IN, WELCOME BACK TO CANADA. ENJOY!"
I really praise & thank God for His goodness! I am truly blessed!!!
I hope it will in a way help you,guys! It's always really not according to our will but His will be done! I believe that God let me experienced it to be able to share to you how amazing & merciful He is :)
God bless us all! Good luck!

Argy

Apr 4, 2010
Hi There, I am in the same situation.... I just have a question for you if you don't mind. WAS YOU ASKED FOR A LETTER OF YOU EMPLOYER OR YOUR CURRENT CONTRACT, OR DID THEY CALL TO YOUR EMPLOYER TO VERIFY THAT YOU ARE COMING BACK TO WORK FOR THEM?.... Thanks :)

sydneywhite said:
Hi! Just to share with you my experience...
I applied for my OPEN WORK PERMIT & PRV April 2010 & it started processing July 9,2010. My Work Permit expired NOV.2,2010. I called CIC & asked if I can still renew my Work Permit since I have plans of having a vacation but they said that it's not needed as long as I will come back before the expiration of my Work Permit & I have a valid Re-entry Visa.
I applied for Multiple Entry Visa last August 8,2010 at Buffalo & got it back 1st wk of Sept. w/c is valid only up to OCT.31, 2010, basically they based the validity of my re-entry VISA to the expiration of my WORK PERMIT. So, I went back to Manila for a vacation, Sept.12 & came back in Toronto October 27, 2010.
I've been on-hold at the Immigration in the Pearson Airport because there are only 6days left for the validity of my Work permit, though I told the 1st Officer that I already have submitted my application for OWP & PRV last April but still asked me to be screened by another Immigration Officer. I got so nervous but instead of worrying, I prayed that whatever would happen it's gonna be the will of God! Since I have heard that there are cases where the Immigration Officers never allow the returning LIVE-IN CG (from vacation at his/her home country) to ENTER CANADA again.
Then the 2nd Immigration Officer checked my status on the Computer, he told me that I am close to the finish line & confirmed that my application is still in process so he said: "OKAY, I WILL LET YOU IN, WELCOME BACK TO CANADA. ENJOY!"
I really praise & thank God for His goodness! I am truly blessed!!!
I hope it will in a way help you,guys! It's always really not according to our will but His will be done! I believe that God let me experienced it to be able to share to you how amazing & merciful He is :)
God bless us all! Good luck!\
H