+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I give AirBnB address for health card and driving license

crazy123

Jul 12, 2014
Hi Folks
I just landed in BC (after a soft landing few months back). I am struggling with these 2 things. Since I am staying at a temporary address, I am not sure whether I can give this address for health card or DL. What is your opinion? How to solve this issue? Do I have to first move in to a long term rental and then only I can apply for these things?

Please advise.

Thanks

Reactions: newbieCanada2023

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
My 2 cents.
First of all, you need to have address proof. A lease agreement or something. Without which, you cannot get both these.
Even if you apply health card, i believe there is a waiting period. In Ontario, it is 90 days. So even if you apply on 1st day, you are not covered for first 90 days (please check BC rules for waiting period). Better to get a lease and then apply for health card and license.

crazy123

Jul 12, 2014
My 2 cents.
First of all, you need to have address proof. A lease agreement or something. Without which, you cannot get both these.
Even if you apply health card, i believe there is a waiting period. In Ontario, it is 90 days. So even if you apply on 1st day, you are not covered for first 90 days (please check BC rules for waiting period). Better to get a lease and then apply for health card and license.
Thank you so much for the response. Yes, I agree, this aligns with my past research on this topic. I was just hoping in case there is any short-cut :).

abcvita2012

Star Member
Jun 5, 2017
My 2 cents.
How can I get a lease if im not working? Does the three month period start from the day i applied? Lets say i applied after a month, is this month not counted?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How can I get a lease if im not working? Does the three month period start from the day i applied? Lets say i applied after a month, is this month not counted?
The 3 month period starts when you land. So if you apply when you get a lease one month after arrival you will receive coverage 2 months later.

Reactions: abcvita2012

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
BC requires about a 3 month wait. You risk not getting your mail if you use an AirBNB address. Who's to say the landlord even checks the mail?

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
I would recommend moving to basement and then give that address for all purpose.... Better not to give airbnb address....

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
I know this thread is old, but I'm facing this same issue. I have an Airbnb for a few months so I cannot provide a lease agreement. But I notice that one of the alternatives is a Canadian driving licence, and to get a licence you only need to show a bank statement. I think (although I don't know for sure) that you can use a mailbox, which gives you a residential address, to receive a bank statement which then can get you a licence, which you can use to apply for healthcare.

Can anyone comment on the ability to use a mailbox address to receive correspondence sufficient to obtain a Canadian driving licence?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know this thread is old, but I'm facing this same issue. I have an Airbnb for a few months so I cannot provide a lease agreement. But I notice that one of the alternatives is a Canadian driving licence, and to get a licence you only need to show a bank statement. I think (although I don't know for sure) that you can use a mailbox, which gives you a residential address, to receive a bank statement which then can get you a licence, which you can use to apply for healthcare.

Can anyone comment on the ability to use a mailbox address to receive correspondence sufficient to obtain a Canadian driving licence?
The whole point of having an address on your ID is to be able to locate you or your family in case of emergency. You will have to update your ID once you move. In terms of the healthcare if there is a wait time you can try and wait until you have your permanent address. Your landing date remains the same which is one of the reasons keeping proof of your landing date is important.

despacito2017

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017

Some provinces have software that flags up business centres and mailbox addresses when you provide it for government services as they are trying to cut down on fraud. Your luck would greatly depend on where you are trying to get your license.

Reactions: canuck78