+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get maintained status on my maintained status? (lol)

hbaig27

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
Hey everyone, interesting situation.

I'm currently on maintained status from my expired PGWP. I applied for a Closed WP using my LMIA in January, right before my PGWP was expiring. Now I'm on maintained status while my closed wp is in process and I get the privilege of working anywhere (and for myself/self-employment).

I also just got my ITA and I'm planning to submit ASAP so that I can apply for my BOWP. Now when I submit my BOWP application, I technically get 'maintained status' again, so will it be continuing to maintain my old open work permit status?

The reason i'm asking is that I would much rather have open work permit privileges than be tied to the closed one. So if I get maintained status after BOWP submission AND withdraw the closed WP application, I can continue working openly until bowp is approved? Technically at the time of bowp submission, I don't have that status through a valid permit but I have it through maintained status.

I hope that makes sense, quite a fun thought experiment but this is my situation now lol.