+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get a study permit while in canada as visitor?

naldo_d_boss

Dec 28, 2014
So my husband and I are both visitors in canada along with our baby whom is canadian (6 months old) we are jamaican and we've been in canada for almost a year we got 1 extension that takes us to December 31, 2015 I am interested in doing a continuing care course (1 year) at a designated institution in saskatchewan the next available course begins Sep 2016. So that being said here are my questions:

1. Can we apply for another extension with our reason being I want to attend school here?

2. Can my status change from visitor to student from within canada or do I have to leave?

3. Will my husband get an open work permit while I study here in canada?

Neilp

Sep 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
naldo_d_boss said:
So my husband and I are both visitors in canada along with our baby whom is canadian (6 months old) we are jamaican and we've been in canada for almost a year we got 1 extension that takes us to December 31, 2015 I am interested in doing a continuing care course (1 year) at a designated institution in saskatchewan the next available course begins Sep 2016. So that being said here are my questions:

1. Can we apply for another extension with our reason being I want to attend school here?

2. Can my status change from visitor to student from within canada or do I have to leave?

3. Will my husband get an open work permit while I study here in canada?
You can apply within Canada for study permit application will have to apply at a Visa office outside (USA).
Things you should be aware of is that you must prove you will leave after studying that might be hard considering you child is born here. So make sure when you apply you show your strong ties to your home country. Make sure you have enough funds for study which is tuition + 10,000 as required by CIC. That is the bare min I recommend addition funds for better security.

When you get your work permit make sure you apply for change of status form regard your visa from visitor to study.

Note if you do get accepted husband can apply for work permit as you hold a study permit. The work permit should be same length as you study permit.

Hope that helps

coley2

Jun 2, 2016
From what I know if she apply for a study permit in USA she has to do in person and cannot send by mail as bio metric is required for persons from Jamaica

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
coley2 said:
From what I know if she apply for a study permit in USA she has to do in person and cannot send by mail as bio metric is required for persons from Jamaica
Agreed. And you can't do biometrics in Canada.

coley2

Jun 2, 2016
You can however,do a short course that is a prerequisite course then apply for a study permit within regardless of you being required to do biometrics or not