+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get a Social Insurance No. before the open work permit arrives in the mail?

daniel07

Nov 7, 2018
Hey guys!

My OWP just got approved today. Can I get a SIN without the physical work permit if I bring all the relevant reference numbers and photo ID? Or do I need to wait for it to arrive in the mail and go to Service Canada with it?

Thanks!

EDIT - I just went to Service Canada and was told they CANNOT issue a new social insurance number without a physical copy of the work permit

Last edited:

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Hey guys!

My OWP just got approved today. Can I get a SIN without the physical work permit if I bring all the relevant reference numbers and photo ID? Or do I need to wait for it to arrive in the mail and go to Service Canada with it?

Thanks!
Yes, if you have an email or-letter saying Work permit was Approved you can bring it to a Service CANADA AND YOU WILL GET ONE.

Jadeganda

Feb 14, 2019
Quick question: my owp approve and the email me today that it was sent to the mail. Can i go to service canada with the printed document in my email saying it was approve or i need a physical copy of my owp?

Jadeganda

Feb 14, 2019
Hey guys!

Thanks!

EDIT - I just went to Service Canada and was told they CANNOT issue a new social insurance number without a physical copy of the work permit
Did you bring the printed email only?

aaadddiiiiiiii

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
please update if we can get sin renewd by just email approval confirmation without actual hard copy ? waiting for hard copy

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You generally need the hard copy. Someone upthread suggested you could get it with the approval email but I haven't had that experience. You could try to walk into a Service Canada office and see what happens.