+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get a PR card after applying for tourist extension?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I have received the GCMS notes for the visitor visa extension and it appears I have been designated as a foreign national. Is there something else I should be looking for, there are 30 pages?
It's possible that your "Permanent Resident" status was lost under the "abandonment" clauses of the 1976 Immigration Act, long before IRPA came into force. However, at this point, I see that you have virtually nothing to lose by applying for a PR card anyway, on the basis that if you have NOT lost your status, you are NOW compliant with the Residency Obligation. If you are refused, you should get information on why. You can then seek redress if IRCC have screwed up your status.

The other viable path is to follow this approach to determine where you stand -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-verification-status-replacement-immigration-document.html

On your IMM 1000 document, what exactly does it say in the "Status" section?

Last edited:

cmccaughna

Sep 27, 2018
It's possible that your "Permanent Resident" status was lost under the "abandonment" clauses of the 1976 Immigration Act, long before IRPA came into force. However, at this point, I see that you have virtually nothing to lose by applying for a PR card anyway, on the basis that if you have NOT lost your status, you are NOW compliant with the Residency Obligation. If you are refused, you should get information on why. You can then seek redress if IRCC have screwed up your status.

The other viable path is to follow this approach to determine where you stand -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-verification-status-replacement-immigration-document.html

On your IMM 1000 document, what exactly does it say in the "Status" section?
My IMM 1000 is very small and simple. There is no "Status Section." At the top it says "Canadian Immigration Identification Card," and it has my printed name and signature, my DOB and place of birth, an ink stamp with the name and departure and destination ports of the ship we arrived on, three other ink stamps, one that reads " CANADA IMMIGRATION JUL 27 1967 QUEBEC", one that reads "JUL 1967," one that reads "310." There is the Canadian coat of arms and wording that reads: "THIS CARD, WHEN STAMPED BY A CANADIAN IMMIGRATION OFFICER, IS EVIDENCE THAT THE RIGHTFUL HOLDER IS A LANDED IMMIGRANT. THIS CARD IS REQUIRED FOR CUSTOMS CLEARANCE AND WHEN MAKING APPLICATION FOR CITIZENSHIP. IT WILL ALSO PROVE USEFUL FOR MANY OTHER PURPOSES."

It also has printed on it "IMM. 1000 (Rev. 8-65) (U.K.)"

Near the lower left corner it has a punch in it that looks like the number "7."

That's all there is to it. It's about six inches wide by two inches high, a bi-fold of heavy yellow paper.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My IMM 1000 is very small and simple. There is no "Status Section." At the top it says "Canadian Immigration Identification Card," and it has my printed name and signature, my DOB and place of birth, an ink stamp with the name and departure and destination ports of the ship we arrived on, three other ink stamps, one that reads " CANADA IMMIGRATION JUL 27 1967 QUEBEC", one that reads "JUL 1967," one that reads "310." There is the Canadian coat of arms and wording that reads: "THIS CARD, WHEN STAMPED BY A CANADIAN IMMIGRATION OFFICER, IS EVIDENCE THAT THE RIGHTFUL HOLDER IS A LANDED IMMIGRANT. THIS CARD IS REQUIRED FOR CUSTOMS CLEARANCE AND WHEN MAKING APPLICATION FOR CITIZENSHIP. IT WILL ALSO PROVE USEFUL FOR MANY OTHER PURPOSES."

It also has printed on it "IMM. 1000 (Rev. 8-65) (U.K.)"

Near the lower left corner it has a punch in it that looks like the number "7."

That's all there is to it. It's about six inches wide by two inches high, a bi-fold of heavy yellow paper.
It changed format over the years and I wasn't able to locate an example of that specific vintage.

Apply for the Verification of Status and based on the outcome, apply for the PR card, or do both at the same time...

cmccaughna

Sep 27, 2018
It changed format over the years and I wasn't able to locate an example of that specific vintage.

Apply for the Verification of Status and based on the outcome, apply for the PR card, or do both at the same time...

I tried to attach a scan of the document but the forum only seems to allow me attach a URL.

That sounds like a good way to move forward, I believe I will go that route.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.