+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get a morgage w/ no job?

Annabel

Oct 12, 2011
Hi, I am an overseas Canadian. I am planning to join my bf in Toronto and buy a house together. He is self employed and might be hard to get a morgage. I am in the process of quiting my job and getting ready to move. We are looking at a house at around $350000 and 50% down. We will have a saving/investment of around $275000 after the down payment. Will I get a morgage w/o a job?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Only a mortgage broker can answer this question. Do you have other assets in and outside Canada?

Dpark

Oct 4, 2011
Hi

I was on your shoes till last year. As long as we needed to put 35% downpayment, it was okay. They of course checked our credit and It was no problem. Unless one of you have any major credit problem, getting mortgage won't be a problem! :D

Good luck with your mortgage.

Plus we got our mortgage from TD bank and purchased property was $320K. Hope this will help.

Annabel

Oct 12, 2011
What a confidence booster! Thank you so very much. I dealt with HSBC. Do you know if they operate in a similar manner or more stringent compared to TD?

Dpark

Oct 4, 2011
Annabel said:
What a confidence booster! Thank you so very much. I dealt with HSBC. Do you know if they operate in a similar manner or more stringent compared to TD?
I heard HSBC is pretty easy going with mortgage compared to the other banks!

Annabel

Oct 12, 2011
Thanks Dpark. I feel a whole lot better now. Hope I will have good news to share soon. All the best!

Annabel

Oct 12, 2011
Re: Can I get a mortgage w/ no job?

Just as a pre-caution, can any one suggest a few other mortgage brokers who might be helpful to me?

zap0ne

Jan 14, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
24-07-1998

Annabel said:
Just as a pre-caution, can any one suggest a few other mortgage brokers who might be helpful to me?
Another company that are good in the Toronto area is Dominion Lending
http://www.dominionlending.ca/

I have always found them to be reliable.
Goodluck
Roy

Realtor
Sutton Group - Elite Realty Inc.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you put 50% down payment for a house over $300000. The most obvious question would be who are you going to repay the remaining 50% of the mortgage. So some kind of income, job, business, income from rental property will be needed as proof to show you are able to pay off the mortgage at the end of the month.

zap0ne

Jan 14, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
24-07-1998
newtone said:
If you put 50% down payment for a house over $300000. The most obvious question would be who are you going to repay the remaining 50% of the mortgage. So some kind of income, job, business, income from rental property will be needed as proof to show you are able to pay off the mortgage at the end of the month.
I think that Annabel's bf is here in Canada working which is probably how they are anticipating covering the mortgage payment in the months before gaining employment here in Canada. Roughly a $150k mortgage (5yr term, 25 yr ammortization) would be in the ballpark of $750 per month.

Annabel

Oct 12, 2011

Thanks for all your inputs. As we have savings and investments tucked aside plus my bf's has income from his business, paying the mortgage is not a problem. Of course, the key thing is whether the bank would think so too and grant me the mortgage without any proof of income. Would showing my running average balance in my account help? My bf co-owns and is paying mortgage on his business property with his biz partner. It would be easier and less messy if I can apply for the mortgage. Of course, I hope to get a job after I settle back in Toronto. This is again another big hurdle!

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
The only person who can apply for mortagage is your boyfriend as bank will never approve you for a mortgage without a proof of income. Also, HSBC is one of the worst banks in Canada to deal with a mortgage.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrbeachman said:
The only person who can apply for mortagage is your boyfriend as bank will never approve you for a mortgage without a proof of income. Also, HSBC is one of the worst banks in Canada to deal with a mortgage.
No, you are the worst person to deal with a mortgage. TD, BMO, HSBC and Scotia are fine.