+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I enter Canada after 3 years of getting PR

rajsri

Aug 25, 2013
I have received PR around January 2015. After completing the landing procedure, I have returned to my country due to some personal commitments. Could anyone let me know, if my PR is valid and I am eligible to enter Canada?.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
What is the expiry date on your PR card? As long as it is not expired you can come back anytime!

Best of luck,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I have received PR around January 2015. After completing the landing procedure, I have returned to my country due to some personal commitments. Could anyone let me know, if my PR is valid and I am eligible to enter Canada?.
As long as you still have a valid PR card, you should be able to enter. But I'm sure you realize, you will not be able to renew it when it expires.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can enter without risk until January 2018.

After January 2018, you face the risk of being reported on entry for failing to meet the Residency Obligation. If reported, unless you have H&C grounds, you could expect your PR status to be revoked. If not reported, you will need to remain in Canada for 2 straight years without leaving to once again meet the RO.

rajsri

Aug 25, 2013
Thanks guys. Can I apply for a new PR if it gets revoked?. I was there in Canada until January 2014 in work permit.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks guys. Can I apply for a new PR if it gets revoked?. I was there in Canada until January 2014 in work permit.
Sure you can reapply from scratch should it get revoked assuming you still qualify at the time but even if you fail the residency obligation next time you enter if post 1/2018 there is always room to appeal so the revoke process can take some time, a year or two possibly with an appeal.

Ultimately as time goes by and the failure to meet the RO extends time wise the more likely the odds of being reported on entry increase. There is no way to predict and generally often can depend on the CBSA officer at the time whether they want to complete the paperwork and even down to how they assess your future intentions on entry.

The only certain thing though is that PR cards expire, PR status never expires , can only be revoked or renounced so whilst you are a PR you are entitled to enter Canada regardless.

Finally do not take on any advice that suggests you renounce your PR status yourself so you can reapply just because you fail the RO, that option should be a last resort

Last edited: