+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I drop my middle name on new passport?

shakeyy

Dec 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If Citizenship Certificate shows my maiden name:

1. Can I request to assume my husbands last name on my passport without having to do a legal Change name and wont be needing to apply to replace my Canadian Citizenship Certificate?

2. When I apply for a new passport, Can I drop my middle name? I just want my passport to show DORA EXPLORER?

***I have already changed my name on my Drivers License and Alberta Health Card with my husbands last name after I took oath and received my citizenship certificate. My Driver’s License and Alberta Health Card shows my middle name

Any input will be appreciated:

NOTE: I researched before I posted this but I couldn't seem to find definite answer because the info on the website is very vague

Thank you!

maybenot

Star Member
Sep 20, 2011
Hello

I had this information confirmed from passport CANADA worker.

Now you can not drop a name on passport
whatever shown on the citizenship certificate/birth certificate will be shown on your passport
they used to do that before but now you need to legally change your name first.

Thanks

shakeyy

Dec 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
The question is what is the name that shows on your Alberta driver's licence and health card?
Hi Sam

The name on my DL and Health Card shows my married name now.. My citizenship certificate shows maiden name.

I changed my license and health card right after my oath

shakeyy

Dec 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maybenot said:
Hello

I had this information confirmed from passport CANADA worker.

Now you can not drop a name on passport
whatever shown on the citizenship certificate/birth certificate will be shown on your passport
they used to do that before but now you need to legally change your name first.

Thanks
Oh Thank you. When did you talk to them?

maybenot

Star Member
Sep 20, 2011
shakeyy said:
Oh Thank you. When did you talk to them?
About two months ago while applying for my child's passport in Ontario.
coz i have the same issue my middle name consist of three names and I want to remove that if I ever get the Canadian citizenship.

He said now they changed the system and they go by the name as shown in the birth certificate/ Citizenship Certificate.

If you live in Ontario, you need to change your name first using this application
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetAttachDocs/007-11155E~3/$File/11155E.pdf

and then wait a month (processing time) then apply for your passport.

Thank You!

shakeyy

Dec 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maybenot said:
About two months ago while applying for my child's passport in Ontario.
coz i have the same issue my middle name consist of three names and I want to remove that if I ever get the Canadian citizenship.

He said now they changed the system and they go by the name as shown in the birth certificate/ Citizenship Certificate.

If you live in Ontario, you need to change your name first using this application
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetAttachDocs/007-11155E~3/$File/11155E.pdf

and then wait a month (processing time) then apply for your passport.

Thank You!
does this apply to if i assume a married name? like change my last name due to relationship change?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
shakeyy said:
Hi Sam

The name on my DL and Health Card shows my married name now.. My citizenship certificate shows maiden name.

I changed my license and health card right after my oath
Give an example of what was your maiden full name (you don't need to write your real name here)

Then provide your husband's name

Also provide the name how it gets changed after marriage ( i think this applies to Philippines)

Then give example of what you want on your passport

The give example of what name you have on your drivers license and health card.

shakeyy

Dec 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Give an example of what was your maiden full name (you don't need to write your real name here)

Then provide your husband's name

Also provide the name how it gets changed after marriage ( i think this applies to Philippines)

Then give example of what you want on your passport

The give example of what name you have on your drivers license and health card.
Example:

FULL NAME AT BIRTH:

FIRST NAME: ANGELINA
MIDDLE NAME: JOLIE
LAST NAME: VOIGHT

My husbands last name is PITT

--- In philippines, my name would have been ANGELINA VOIGHT PITT automatically without legally changing name

--- But in Canada, they don't allow middle name change. Only last name is allowed to be changed upon marriage

My drivers License & Alberta Health Card now shows: ANGELINA JOLIE PITT

I would like to drop my middle name just on my passport to show just just ANGELINA PITT
My alberta health card and drivers license can have my middle name

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Thanks for the info.

You can't drop the middle name like that. You either have to use: ANGELINA JOLIE VOIGHT as per your citizenship certificate or you can have ANGELINA JOLIE PITT without legal name change by showing your marriage certificate.
If you want to make ANGELINA VOIGHT PITT or ANGELINA PITT, you may need to have a legal change of name.

Here is a helpful link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/name-change.asp

shakeyy

Dec 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Thanks for the info.

You can't drop the middle name like that. You either have to use: ANGELINA JOLIE VOIGHT as per your citizenship certificate or you can have ANGELINA JOLIE PITT without legal name change by showing your marriage certificate.
If you want to make ANGELINA VOIGHT PITT or ANGELINA PITT, you may need to have a legal change of name.

Here is a helpful link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/name-change.asp
Ok Thank you. What do they mean about Dropping of names on the link you provided?

THIS:

We accept the following variances on the name that appears on your birth or Canadian citizenship certificate:

Dropping of given names
Inversion of given names

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
shakeyy said:
Ok Thank you. What do they mean about Dropping of names on the link you provided?

THIS:

We accept the following variances on the name that appears on your birth or Canadian citizenship certificate:

Dropping of given names
Inversion of given names
The link I gave you was for general useful information. I am not sure how dropping/inversion of given name works. However, this link does not have any info about middle name.

shakeyy

Dec 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
The link I gave you was for general useful information. I am not sure how dropping/inversion of given name works. However, this link does not have any info about middle name.
Thank you sam!!! :)

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
I'm confused on this too. I have my given names inverted on the passport and was allowed years ago. Now when I'm using my passport name as "legal name", I've been told name on my passport is not a "legal name". Is that right?

Banks, health care all accepts passport as primary identification document. For me, I've been using my passport name for my school certificates, visas, marriage certificate. Does it mean that I need to go about changing the name of them all? And even changing a new passport?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
wyho007 said:
I'm confused on this too. I have my given names inverted on the passport and was allowed years ago. Now when I'm using my passport name as "legal name", I've been told name on my passport is not a "legal name". Is that right?

Banks, health care all accepts passport as primary identification document. For me, I've been using my passport name for my school certificates, visas, marriage certificate. Does it mean that I need to go about changing the name of them all? And even changing a new passport?
Explain your situation using example names.