+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I drop my middle name on new passport?

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
thecoolguysam said:
Explain your situation using example names.
Using example names...

In my citizenship card it says: Wai Sum Amy Kim
In my passport it says": Amy Wai Sum Kim

As mentioned, I have everything on the passport name (ie. Amy Wai Sum Kim) - banks, health care, all accepts passport as primary identification document. For me, I've been using my passport name for my school certificates, visas, marriage certificate, SIN, tax returns.

But when I go into the driver's licensing office, I was told only the name on my citizenship card is my legal name but name on my passport is only for travelling purpose. I can only apply driver's licence and provincial ID with my citizenship card name.

Does it mean that I need to go about changing the name of them all? And even changing a new passport?

Just trying to access the real impact down the road here. Hopefully someone can provide some inputs.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wyho007 said:
Does it mean that I need to go about changing the name of them all? And even changing a new passport?

Just trying to access the real impact down the road here. Hopefully someone can provide some inputs
The key is your citizenship card. You need it for passport renewal. So, one thing you could do is to make name change in your citizenship card. There are no impact in doing so. Just that you may have different names in your bank accounts, land title / rental contracts, Canadian and Macau passports, driver license, etc in case you don't mind name change everything.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
wyho007 said:
Using example names...

In my citizenship card it says: Wai Sum Amy Kim
In my passport it says": Amy Wai Sum Kim

As mentioned, I have everything on the passport name (ie. Amy Wai Sum Kim) - banks, health care, all accepts passport as primary identification document. For me, I've been using my passport name for my school certificates, visas, marriage certificate, SIN, tax returns.

But when I go into the driver's licensing office, I was told only the name on my citizenship card is my legal name but name on my passport is only for travelling purpose. I can only apply driver's licence and provincial ID with my citizenship card name.

Just trying to access the real impact down the road here. Hopefully someone can provide some inputs.
The big question is how and why is your name on the passport different from citizenship card?

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
steaky said:
The key is your citizenship card. You need it for passport renewal. So, one thing you could do is to make name change in your citizenship card. There are no impact in doing so. Just that you may have different names in your bank accounts, land title / rental contracts, Canadian and Macau passports, driver license, etc in case you don't mind name change everything.
I had it that way (driver's license and bank accounts in different order of given names) and it didn't have a problem like 20 years ago when I was still resident. Only now I am resuming my residency that wherever I go asks for "legal name" and makes me confused if my passport name is no longer my "legal name" by definition. Driver's licensing office told me my passport name is not "legal name".

And also, if it has any issue when my bank accounts has a different display name when reporting to CRA at year end regarding my income. With my job search as well.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
The big question is how and why is your name on the passport different from citizenship card?
Using the same example, a cousin of mine used "Amy Kim" on one of her previous passport while her citizenship card used the name Wai Sum Amy Kim. There used to be space in the previous version of the passport application form where you can write the name you wish to appear in your passport.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wyho007 said:
And also, if it has any issue when my bank accounts has a different display name when reporting to CRA at year end regarding my income. With my job search as well.
I don't think this is an issue.

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
steaky said:
I don't think this is an issue.
That's good since I don't know what's new after I've left for so long. Let me leave it like this and see how it pends out. At least not something that needs my immediate attention when I have so much to deal with in my current settlement phase.

Thanks Steaky!

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
steaky said:
Using the same example, a cousin of mine used "Amy Kim" on one of her previous passport while her citizenship card used the name Wai Sum Amy Kim. There used to be space in the previous version of the passport application form where you can write the name you wish to appear in your passport.
Yeah, I think it's something new that the government (at least for BC) rolled out. Way back then (like 20 years ago) people used to put common names on their drivers license e.g. Suzy for Susan and it was acceptable. Then this person started using Suzy for everything as that's why shows on her driver's license.

That's why I was in such a shock!

So now the problem is that the provincial government wants to straighten things out but not all authorities/agencies follow (e.g. passport offices still renew passports with names different then citizenship card, health care, SIN, banks, CRA, etc).

Personally, I just want to make sure my personal properties/assets are well protected and esp my family in case something happens to me.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I am not too sure however one option is go for legal name change and accordingly get all the provincial and local IDs changed and using those IDs, change your name on citizenship card, i think you will be issued a new citizenship certificate with new name and use that in order to apply to get the passport in new name.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
I am not too sure however one option is go for legal name change and accordingly get all the provincial and local IDs changed and using those IDs, change your name on citizenship card, i think you will be issued a new citizenship certificate with new name and use that in order to apply to get the passport in new name.
You can change your name on citizenship card directly. Yes, your old card would be surrendered and a new one would given. No need for legal name change, though.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
steaky said:
You can change your name on citizenship card directly. Yes, your old card would be surrendered and a new one would given. No need for legal name change, though.
How can he change the name directly on citizenship card without legal name change?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
How can he change the name directly on citizenship card without legal name change?
The Canadian consulate staff told my cousin that he can do this in Canada but he did it in the consulate.

Similar to the previous passport application form, there was a space in that form which you can write what name you want to appear in the new citizenship card.

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
steaky said:
The Canadian consulate staff told my cousin that he can do this in Canada but he did it in the consulate.

Similar to the previous passport application form, there was a space in that form which you can write what name you want to appear in the new citizenship card.
When did your cousin do it? I believe a legal name change is needed, at least for residents of BC.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wyho007 said:
When did your cousin do it? I believe a legal name change is needed, at least for residents of BC.
8 years ago, she showed her new citizenship card to ICBC and got her name in the temporary DL changed to "Amy Kim".

According to ICBC, they will take your full legal name and date of birth from what they call a foundation document. A foundation document is a type of identification that establishes or changes your full legal name and date of birth.

Foundation documents

• If you're born outside of Canada - Your legal name is the full name that appears on your most recent immigration document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/visit-dl-office/Pages/Accepted-ID.aspx#name

Therefore, the new citizenship card should serve the purposes for legal name change.

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
  • steaky said:
    8 years ago, she showed her new citizenship card to ICBC and got her name in the temporary DL changed to "Amy Kim".

According to ICBC, they will take your full legal name and date of birth from what they call a foundation document. A foundation document is a type of identification that establishes or changes your full legal name and date of birth.

Foundation documents

[list
    • If you're born outside of Canada - Your legal name is the full name that appears on your most recent immigration document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/visit-dl-office/Pages/Accepted-ID.aspx#name

Therefore, the new citizenship card should serve the purposes for legal name change.
    Sorry, I was asking how your cousin got the name of citizenship card changed. I guess if it was 8 years ago, it may be the same as how I got my passport given names inverted without an issue.

I think it's something new at the licensing, citizenship, passport office now that if one wants any change (even if it's just a drop of given names, inversion of given names), an official "legal name change" application is required.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=907&top=5