+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I drive in Ontario with Indian Driving Licence(Card Licence) for 60 days?

jb2010

Aug 13, 2010
Hi Members,

I have Indian Driving Licence (Card Licence in English)) I will be Immigrating to Canada in couple of months can I drive in ontario for first 60 days with current Indian Licence or I need to have IDL/IDP to drive ?I know with International Driving Licence(IDL) I Can drive in ontario but what if i have only driving licence and no IDL/IDP still can i drive ?

sep2009

Mar 17, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Sep-2009
Doc's Request.
1-Dec-2009
Med's Request
20-Aug-2010
Med's Done....
10-Sep-2010, Medicals results received 21-Oct-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-May-2011, passport sent to embassy on 31st-May
VISA ISSUED...
got the passport back with visa on 16th-June
LANDED..........
late august

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Below Link may help.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/updated-topics/-t39566.0.html;topicseen

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for 60 days after you move to Ontario. So yes you can use your license for 60 days after your landing

jb2010

Aug 13, 2010
Thanks ankit
That mean no need for IDL/IDP if immigrating as PR & current licence is in English?

ankit_20 said:
If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for 60 days after you move to Ontario. So yes you can use your license for 60 days after your landing

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jb2010 said:
Thanks ankit
That mean no need for IDL/IDP if immigrating as PR & current licence is in English?
If you license is in English as a new immigrant you can use it for 60 days after landing. No need of IDP.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section1.1.0.shtml

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would not given a try to drive straight away in Canada with driving experience in India. It take long time to understand the difference of right hand drive and left one. Natural instinct with indian experience is to turn on left side of road and it can be fatal over here.

kaps

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
I need information regarding Experience Letter for the Ontario G Drivers License. I am a new immigrant in Canada living in GTA and I have brought an International Drivers Permit(IDP) from RTO of India but i didn't bring any Experience Letter from RTO. Can I get the driving experience letter from Consulate General of India, Toronto, Ontario.

What can I do now in Canada to get the Experience Letter of my experience of driving in my home country for 12 years. I have my Indian DL-card license (valid 1997-2017) and an International Drivers Permit (valid July 2010-2011) from India and I want to get Ontario G DL.

Did anyone get the Driving experience letter from Consulate General of India, Toronto, if yes, then what is the procedure?

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
explorer101 said:
I would not given a try to drive straight away in Canada with driving experience in India. It take long time to understand the difference of right hand drive and left one. Natural instinct with indian experience is to turn on left side of road and it can be fatal over here.
I strongly agree with explorer on this. As per rules you can use Indian license to drive for first 60 days but if you have never driven in US/Canada do not try that out.

It took me 3 months to acclimatize to US driving conditions and even after US license, It took me some time to drive on freeways

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Totally agree with you.

Even some traffic lights are confusing in Canada. Where you stop in the middle of the road to allow other cars to pass...Till now I am trying to understand it lol

explorer101 said:

Reactions: cprasp