+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I be deported, unfortunately got into some trouble with police

PrincessLuna

Jan 3, 2013
Hi,

I am a PR who just came back to Canada a few months ago as I was removed as a minor. Having this chance really means everything to me and I worked hard to try to come back here, study and settle.

Anyway the other day I did something really stupid. I went to a party and agreed to drive a friend home as she said she was too drunk to drive. On the way I unfortunately rear ended a van and hit a parked car from the side.

The cops came and impounded the car. My friend had no insurance on her car.

Unfortunately, while I know how to drive, I do not have a BC license. While I was not in the state of my friend, I also had a few glasses of Port Wine and got a BAC of 0.1. I got fined for no insurance, DUI, no license.

Can I be deported over these charges and if yes is there anything I can do. I am feeling really bad now :( I am usually very law abiding, I don't know what made me do this, I don't do well with peer pressure at parties. Is it likely for CIC to deport DUI offenders.

Also will this affect my ability to get a job in the future?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR is your immunity to most things, dont worey about it. Atleast you didnt kill someone or was convicted of 1st degree murder. This nothing serious so dont worry about it, unless the job requires police certificate you shouldnt have a problem. If you can find a good lawyer all those charges could be dropped easily. Should be a cake walk for most lawyers lots of people get away with drunk driving no license and no insurance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PrincessLuna said:
If you are convicted - then yes, this could impact your ability to get certain jobs in the future.

If you can't handle the peer pressure at parties - then don't attend them. What you do or dont do is entirely your responsibility.

PrincessLuna

Jan 3, 2013
newtone said:
PR is your immunity to most things, dont worey about it. Atleast you didnt kill someone or was convicted of 1st degree murder. This nothing serious so dont worry about it, unless the job requires police certificate you shouldnt have a problem. If you can find a good lawyer all those charges could be dropped easily. Should be a cake walk for most lawyers lots of people get away with drunk driving no license and no insurance
Not sure about that as there is an accident involved.
I understand that I did wrong, just hope it won't get me deported

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
By getting your travel document, you were giving an exceptional chance to reinstate your PR. I am not sure that you appreciate this because it now sounds like you are keeping bad company. A friend who drives around with no insurance and then asks you to drive because she is drunk when you are also drunk and don't have a license is no good friend. Of course that doesn't take away from your bad decision to drive drunk and without a license yourself. You should have said no.

You should:

1. Seek legal advice and tell the lawyer that you are worried about how this will affect your PR.

2. Stop associating with these people

3. Stop drinking completely.

4. Seek counseling for drinking problems.

When your case goes to court, the judge will be happy to hear that you have seen your fault and that you have taken action to better yourself and this will hopefully make the judge more lenient on you. I assume you will have to pay for the damages as well as a fine. Just be thankful that you did not injure or kill anyone.

Reactions: mickey_mouse

PrincessLuna

Jan 3, 2013
Leon said:
By getting your travel document, you were giving an exceptional chance to reinstate your PR. I am not sure that you appreciate this because it now sounds like you are keeping bad company. A friend who drives around with no insurance and then asks you to drive because she is drunk when you are also drunk and don't have a license is no good friend. Of course that doesn't take away from your bad decision to drive drunk and without a license yourself. You should have said no.

You should:

1. Seek legal advice and tell the lawyer that you are worried about how this will affect your PR.

2. Stop associating with these people

3. Stop drinking completely.

4. Seek counseling for drinking problems.

When your case goes to court, the judge will be happy to hear that you have seen your fault and that you have taken action to better yourself and this will hopefully make the judge more lenient on you. I assume you will have to pay for the damages as well as a fine. Just be thankful that you did not injure or kill anyone.
You are right, these are no friends, I was doing great until I moved into a cheaper area where I got associated with them. I am definitely going to take these actions. Thanks a lot. I will pay for damages. I never had any issues before this with the law. Stopping to drink is no problem I just drink to go with the crowd and fit in sometimes (I understand this sounds stupid and I am definitely going to stop). I feel like I really messed up. I'll be moving away shortly, I have some funds but I am worried about not getting a job after university.

Its hard to explain but when these people first meet you they are nice and then they slowly morph into their true selves. Looking at it I find that they have even taken advantage of me financially.

I am not involved in illegal drugs or anything but I think some people at the party in this friend circle are.

Do I have to seek counselling for drinking problems as I am not actually addicted to alcohol and drink very rarely ... I will have no trouble stopping. I actually sincerely have barely ever drunk as much alcohol as I did that day.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Something else to make you aware of... If you are in fact convicted, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg once you try to get car insurance.

As Leon said, get a lawyer.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To the judge, it will look a lot better if you have been seeking counseling because of drinking problems even though you feel that you don't have a drinking problem. Anybody can say to the judge that they have never drank in their life except the one time and that they really don't have a problem but the judge may not be willing to believe that.

However, when you talk to a lawyer, you can also discuss with them what steps you should take in order to get through this more easily. Not all jobs will check if you have a criminal record and after a few years, you can apply for a pardon anyway. These are also questions for your prospective lawyer.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PrincessLuna said:
Hi,

I am a PR who just came back to Canada a few months ago as I was removed as a minor. Having this chance really means everything to me and I worked hard to try to come back here, study and settle.

Anyway the other day I did something really stupid. I went to a party and agreed to drive a friend home as she said she was too drunk to drive. On the way I unfortunately rear ended a van and hit a parked car from the side.

The cops came and impounded the car. My friend had no insurance on her car.

Unfortunately, while I know how to drive, I do not have a BC license. While I was not in the state of my friend, I also had a few glasses of Port Wine and got a BAC of 0.1. I got fined for no insurance, DUI, no license.

Can I be deported over these charges and if yes is there anything I can do. I am feeling really bad now :( I am usually very law abiding, I don't know what made me do this, I don't do well with peer pressure at parties. Is it likely for CIC to deport DUI offenders.

Its clear from the posts on this so far that you realize the severity of your actions. The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) has been amended recently so its far easier for a Permanent Resident to be inadmissible when convicted under the Criminal Code of Canada (CCC).

IRPA - Serious criminality

36. (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible on grounds of serious criminality for
(a) having been convicted in Canada of an offence under an Act of Parliament punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 10 years, or of an offence under an Act of Parliament for which a term of imprisonment of more than six months has been imposed;

CCC

253. (1) Every one commits an offence who operates a motor vehicle or vessel or operates or assists in the operation of an aircraft or of railway equipment or has the care or control of a motor vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment, whether it is in motion or not,
(a) while the person's ability to operate the vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment is impaired by alcohol or a drug; or
(b) having consumed alcohol in such a quantity that the concentration in the person's blood exceeds eighty milligrams of alcohol in one hundred millilitres of blood.

Punishment

255. (1) Every one who commits an offence under section 253 or 254 is guilty of an indictable offence or an offence punishable on summary conviction and is liable,
(a) whether the offence is prosecuted by indictment or punishable on summary conviction, to the following minimum punishment, namely,
(i) for a first offence, to a fine of not less than $1,000,
(ii) for a second offence, to imprisonment for not less than 30 days, and
(iii) for each subsequent offence, to imprisonment for not less than 120 days;
(b) where the offence is prosecuted by indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; and
(c) if the offence is punishable on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term of not more than 18 months.
Marginal note:Impaired driving causing bodily harm

(2) Everyone who commits an offence under paragraph 253(1)(a) and causes bodily harm to another person as a result is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than 10 years.
Marginal note:Blood alcohol level over legal limit — bodily harm

(2.1) Everyone who, while committing an offence under paragraph 253(1)(b), causes an accident resulting in bodily harm to another person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than 10 years.

Get a good lawyer versed in both criminal and immigration law so that this doesn't go the indictment route or the summary route with imprisonment. If it does you become inadmissible under the IRPA and will get a removal order. I can't recall the situation in your home country but you may need to explain if this case goes far what the conditions are back there and why you should not be sent back. Usually a first offence where no one has been harmed you will get put on a probation type situation where any removal order is on hold for usually between 2-3 years and you must stay out of trouble. However in Canada DUI offences are taken very seriously unlike say shoplifting where there is some leeway for dropping first time offences.

You have to seek some help/counselling with the drinking regardless you think you have a problem or not. The Judge will consider your remorse and that you have made efforts to get the drink issue resolved. The judge will also consider any employment or study you are undertaking as this shows you are working hard to be a contributing member of society.

You have to declare this conviction in all visa and immigration applications and it will delay any application for Canadian citizenship. Once you are able to drive again expect a huge hit on your insurance premiums - you may be required to get an interlock device that only works if you have zero alcohol via a breath test. Also you may consider that you know how to drive but driving in Canada is very different to driving in other jurisdictions - get some lessons. Lastly as you've stated ditch the bad company - seems like your 'friend' found someone impressionable to take the hit as she likely had previous convictions. Remember with freedom as you now have returning to Canada comes with responsibility.

Good luck

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Diannekate said:
Princessluna

How are you? Any news? I had same problem with you :(
Once you reach 10 posts as I recall you can message others on the forum...she may want to maintain privacy on this. The legal position is the same if you break the law...you are at risk of deportation. Go seek competent legal advise as this scenario is beyond the scope of any forum.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Msafiri said:
Once you reach 10 posts as I recall you can message others on the forum...she may want to maintain privacy on this. The legal position is the same if you break the law...you are at risk of deportation. Go seek competent legal advise as this scenario is beyond the scope of any forum.
Canada is one of the most forgiving countries. No death penalties, and you get what, 20 years if you kill someone? You gotta break some serious laws to be punished for at least 10 years in jail, and DUI isn't one of them. OP should be totally fine when it comes to his/her PR status.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Isn't DUI considered a criminal offense in Canada?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
keesio said:
Isn't DUI considered a criminal offense in Canada?
It is and it makes you inadmissible to Canada.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Alurra71 said:
It is and it makes you inadmissible to Canada.
However, once you become a permanent resident, you enjoy a certain amount of protection, which a "foreign national" would not benefit from.