+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I be deported, unfortunately got into some trouble with police

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ZingyDNA said:
Canada is one of the most forgiving countries. No death penalties, and you get what, 20 years if you kill someone? You gotta break some serious laws to be punished for at least 10 years in jail, and DUI isn't one of them. OP should be totally fine when it comes to his/her PR status.
Actually this is incorrect...it depends on what happens aka consequences from the DUI...if there is bodily harm (which is a wide open definition so could include say driving over someone's foot) then its jail time!

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Msafiri said:
Actually this is incorrect...it depends on what happens aka consequences from the DUI...if there is bodily harm (which is a wide open definition so could include say driving over someone's foot) then its jail time!
LOL of course. I was talking about DUI alone, i.e. you drive when drunk, get pulled over and the cop gives you DUI, that's it. I see young people doing this a lot, and it won't really get your PR revoked! It'll cost you a lot more in car insurance, and might get your driver license revoked, though.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ZingyDNA said:
LOL of course. I was talking about DUI alone, i.e. you drive when drunk, get pulled over and the cop gives you DUI, that's it. I see young people doing this a lot, and it won't really get your PR revoked! It'll cost you a lot more in car insurance, and might get your driver license revoked, though.
No doubt...don't drink and drive is the best policy!

Fzz003

Feb 2, 2017
PrincessLuna said:
Hi,

I am a PR who just came back to Canada a few months ago as I was removed as a minor. Having this chance really means everything to me and I worked hard to try to come back here, study and settle.

Anyway the other day I did something really stupid. I went to a party and agreed to drive a friend home as she said she was too drunk to drive. On the way I unfortunately rear ended a van and hit a parked car from the side.

The cops came and impounded the car. My friend had no insurance on her car.

Unfortunately, while I know how to drive, I do not have a BC license. While I was not in the state of my friend, I also had a few glasses of Port Wine and got a BAC of 0.1. I got fined for no insurance, DUI, no license.

Can I be deported over these charges and if yes is there anything I can do. I am feeling really bad now :( I am usually very law abiding, I don't know what made me do this, I don't do well with peer pressure at parties. Is it likely for CIC to deport DUI offenders.

Also will this affect my ability to get a job in the future?

Any updates?

pacificislander

Jan 7, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ZingyDNA said:
Canada is one of the most forgiving countries. No death penalties, and you get what, 20 years if you kill someone? You gotta break some serious laws to be punished for at least 10 years in jail, and DUI isn't one of them. OP should be totally fine when it comes to his/her PR status.
If you have been convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs, you will probably be found criminally inadmissible to Canada. But as of March 1, 2012, you may be able to get a temporary resident permit for one visit without paying the C$200 processing fee.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/index.asp