+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i apply to usa visa with copr?

newzonecanada

May 19, 2016
Hello, my hubby is a canadian pr and i just recieved my visa and copr. I want to know that after landing in canada, can i apply for usa visa asap. Does that copr is equivalent to canadian pr. I need to go to usa for exam purpose and cant wait for my pr card to arrive. Plz help me out. After landing in canada, what to mention in ds 160 form (for usa tourist visa), am i a pr of canada or not after landing in canada.

Meya06

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once the officer signed and dated on your COPR, that's means you are getting official permanent resident of Canada so nothing to worrie about applying US tourist visa, the officer will not ask too many questions, they might ask you these kind of question probably like, have you been travel to the US before, how long are you going to stay there, where do you working now, something like that. As long as you tell them actual information.

Ps, my spouse applied US visa same day after landed only a couple hours and her application has been approved that day too.

All the best

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
newzonecanada said:
Hello, my hubby is a canadian pr and i just recieved my visa and copr. I want to know that after landing in canada, can i apply for usa visa asap. Does that copr is equivalent to canadian pr. I need to go to usa for exam purpose and cant wait for my pr card to arrive. Plz help me out. After landing in canada, what to mention in ds 160 form (for usa tourist visa), am i a pr of canada or not after landing in canada.
USA visa application has nothing to do with your Canada PR status, although ties to Canada (e.g. A job, family, banking info) helps to prove that you will not stay in USA illegally.

You don't need PR card to enter Canada as PR on land borders in a private vehicle.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
You can also apply for the US visa before landing in Canada, I would expect US visa officers would also know the significance of a Canadian immigrant visa even before the COPR is signed.

Check as well if it might be faster to apply in your country's US embassy rather than a US consulate in Canada. In my case, I would rather apply/renew in my home country's US embassy, where I would have interview/personal appearance waiver privileges. Your US visa will still be issued based on your country's passport.

SOTAJ

Mar 29, 2013
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-Oct-2014
Nomination.....
15-Jan-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-Jul-2015
Med's Done....
24-Jul-2015
Interview........
N/A By His grace
Passport Req..
25-Feb-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-Mar-2016
LANDED..........
02-May-2016
bellaluna said:
You can also apply for the US visa before landing in Canada, I would expect US visa officers would also know the significance of a Canadian immigrant visa even before the COPR is signed.

Check as well if it might be faster to apply in your country's US embassy rather than a US consulate in Canada. In my case, I would rather apply/renew in my home country's US embassy, where I would have interview/personal appearance waiver privileges. Your US visa will still be issued based on your country's passport.
@bellaluna, I beg to disagree. Your US visa is not issued based on your Nationality alone but also your Country of residence. For example if a Nigerian applies for a US visa in Nigeria, s/he will only be issued a 2 year visa. Whereas, if a Nigerian that is a Canadian PR applies from Canada s/he will be issued with a 10 year US visa even with the same Nigerian passport based on the bilateral agreement between Canada and the U.S.

Reactions: Best4best

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SOTAJ said:
@bellaluna, I beg to disagree. Your US visa is not issued based on your Nationality alone but also your Country of residence. For example if a Nigerian applies for a US visa in Nigeria, s/he will only be issued a 2 year visa. Whereas, if a Nigerian that is a Canadian PR applies from Canada s/he will be issued with a 10 year US visa even with the same Nigerian passport based on the bilateral agreement between Canada and the U.S.
That is incorrect. US visa duration is based on the country of passport one holds and not based on the country of residence. Taking your example, if a Nigerian is eligible for 2 years visitor visa applying at an US consulate in Nigeria it will be the same if a Nigerian applies at an US embassy/consulate anywhere in the world.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
jairichi said:
That is incorrect. US visa duration is based on the country of passport one holds and not based on the country of residence. Taking your example, if a Nigerian is eligible for 2 years visitor visa applying at an US consulate in Nigeria it will be the same if a Nigerian applies at an US embassy/consulate anywhere in the world.
this is correct given until someone takes Canadian citizenship the rules applying to their citizenship/ passport still apply, residence has nothing really to do with it. Using similar example a UK passport holder requires an ESTA to fly into the US even from Canada even if a PR , the latter has no bearing on the need to have an ESTA is all based on passport/citizenship. Once a Canadian citizen they do not require an ESTA so PR buys nothing in this case

Having PR in Canada may smooth the process of obtaining a visa but that is likely all it does the US is not obliged to allow entry just because someone has PR in Canada and even less so on a foreign passport.

SOTAJ

Mar 29, 2013
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-Oct-2014
Nomination.....
15-Jan-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-Jul-2015
Med's Done....
24-Jul-2015
Interview........
N/A By His grace
Passport Req..
25-Feb-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-Mar-2016
LANDED..........
02-May-2016
jairichi said:
@Jairichi. Well, that's your view. Even though I don't really like to argue or drag issues on the forum. Kindly note that I am talking from experience as a Nigerian. I may not be sure of other nationalities. You can reconfirm from any Nigerian that's a PR in Canada. Whereas, the standard validity on U.S B1/B2 visa issued from Nigeria is 2 years, 10 years will be given to you if you are a Nigerian with Canadian PR and you apply for U.S visa in Canada.

Thank you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
SOTAJ said:
@Jairichi. Well, that's your view. Even though I don't really like to argue or drag issues on the forum. Kindly note that I am talking from experience as a Nigerian. I may not be sure of other nationalities. You can reconfirm from any Nigerian that's a PR in Canada. Whereas, the standard validity on U.S B1/B2 visa issued from Nigeria is 2 years, 10 years will be given to you if you are a Nigerian with Canadian PR and you apply for U.S visa in Canada.

Thank you.
Enough said on this topic but end of day only the US will decide if 2 years or 10 years whether PR or not, visas are never guaranteed even if a PR , just may smooth the pathway to being approved given every application is different.

Meya06

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SOTAJ said:

Thank you.
I agree with SOTAJ, in my experience I was applied US visa from my home country(Asia)and have granted B1/B2 visa only for 1 year issued, based on my nationality, our passport is valid for 5 years.

Whereas, after I landed and got COPR which already signed ( haven't applied SIN yet ) I tried to applied US visa again but this time I got 10 years visa issued, that's means a Canadian permanent resident have a chance and advantage in order to obtain US visa.:)

SOTAJ

Mar 29, 2013
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-Oct-2014
Nomination.....
15-Jan-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-Jul-2015
Med's Done....
24-Jul-2015
Interview........
N/A By His grace
Passport Req..
25-Feb-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-Mar-2016
LANDED..........
02-May-2016
Meya06 said:
I agree with SOTAJ, in my experience I was applied US visa from my home country(Asia)and have granted B1/B2 visa only for 1 year issued, based on my nationality, our passport is valid for 5 years.

Whereas, after I landed and got COPR which already signed ( haven't applied SIN yet ) I tried to applied US visa again but this time I got 10 years visa issued, that's means a Canadian permanent resident have a chance and advantage in order to obtain US visa.:)
Thanks Meya for also sharing your experience.

Reactions: Best4best

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
Thanks Sotaj and Meya for sharing your experience , is getting a 10 year multiple visa is the standard for any PR in canada ( regardless of nationality ) or it depend upon the interview , this is the only thread that confirm this fact

actually always when i read about this subject people say that USA only grant visa according to your passport , so if its 1 or 2 years back home its the same when you are a PR !

could others please thiere expreience about this to be sure ..

thanks

mekima

Star Member
Aug 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Doc's Request.
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
24-06-2014
Med's Request
11-08-2014
Med's Done....
18-08-2014
Passport Req..
24-02-2015
LANDED..........
17-03-2015
SOTAJ said:
Thanks Meya for also sharing your experience.
You are right. When i was an international student and applied for US visa only got 1 year but after i got PR i applied for the same visa and i got 10 years. Having PR doesn't automatically give u a US visa but it gives u a longer validity. So you are right about that. Btw am Ghanaian and when we apply frm Ghana we only get a year or 2 years. the most you will get from ghana is 5 years but with a PR card it aids for u to get 10 years.

cbsg

Star Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hi ,

I am in same situation . I got COPR last week and currently on L1-B in USA . I am planning to go to Canada for landing and after 2-3 days want to go to US embassy for extension for L1-B . Can you please help if Embassy ask for PR card or CoPR itself was enough for your case.

Please reply as i want to decide if i should go for extension after getting PR card only or it is safe to go on CoPR only/

Thanks
Shekhar

cbsg

Star Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hi ,

I got COPR last week and currently on L1-B in USA . I am planning to go to Canada for landing and after 2-3 days want to go to US embassy for extension for L1-B . Can anyone please help if Embassy ask for PR card or CoPR itself is enough for extension .

Please reply as i want to decide if i should go for extension after getting PR card only or it is safe to go on CoPR only.

Thanks
Shekhar