Med's Request
11-08-2014
Med's Done....
18-08-2014
Passport Req..
24-02-2015
LANDED..........
17-03-2015
You can go along with either one of them..its acceptable.

canada_2018

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Hello everyone,

I would be grateful for any comments on my post below. Many thanks in advance.

I recently received a Canadian CoPR and planning to travel to Canada for the first time in January next year. For now just to do the landing as we are planning to move there later next year. I am a holder of a European passport, so I do not have a visa stamped (just a CoPR is required to enter Canada).

In the meantime I would like to apply for a US tourist visa from home before going to Canada. I need it to help my parents apply for one.

1. If I recieve the US visa can I travel to the US from Canada (after landing/moving/etc to Canada)
2. Practically should I mention to the US emndassy that I hold the Canadian CoPR
3. Any other tips would be great

Thank you

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello everyone,

I would be grateful for any comments on my post below. Many thanks in advance.

I recently received a Canadian CoPR and planning to travel to Canada for the first time in January next year. For now just to do the landing as we are planning to move there later next year. I am a holder of a European passport, so I do not have a visa stamped (just a CoPR is required to enter Canada).

In the meantime I would like to apply for a US tourist visa from home before going to Canada. I need it to help my parents apply for one.

1. If I recieve the US visa can I travel to the US from Canada (after landing/moving/etc to Canada)
2. Practically should I mention to the US emndassy that I hold the Canadian CoPR
3. Any other tips would be great

Thank you
1. Yes
2. Only if asked. Don’t volunteer any information.
3. You can apply together with your parents to establish the family trip.

Reactions: canada_2018

canada_2018

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
1. Yes
2. Only if asked. Don’t volunteer any information.
3. You can apply together with your parents to establish the family trip.
Thank you for your comments, @bellaluna

May ask if you or someone you know have been in a similar situation?

The reason I was asking whether to mention Canadian PR is because it is one of the questions they ask in the visa application form. One has to state whether they have a permanent residency in a country other than the one they are applying from. I am just wondering if CoPR counts as a PR at this point (i.e. before landing and ontaining the 'official' PR status).

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you for your comments, @bellaluna

May ask if you or someone you know have been in a similar situation?

The reason I was asking whether to mention Canadian PR is because it is one of the questions they ask in the visa application form. One has to state whether they have a permanent residency in a country other than the one they are applying from. I am just wondering if CoPR counts as a PR at this point (i.e. before landing and ontaining the 'official' PR status).
If it is just a COPR then you are not yet officially a PR. You cannot state there yet that you are a Canadian PR.

They won’t know about your COPR unless they ask you about it (doubtful) or they take your passport and see your immigrant visa. Possible they see it though since the US and Canada share immigration info.

Reactions: canada_2018

canada_2018

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
If it is just a COPR then you are not yet officially a PR. You cannot state there yet that you are a Canadian PR.

They won’t know about your COPR unless they ask you about it (doubtful) or they take your passport and see your immigrant visa.
Thank you I was thinking the same.

fisola2010

Feb 7, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2019
LANDED..........
20-02-2019
Hello,
I want to travel to US by April and so I want to apply for US visa pending when I receive my PR card. I don't wan't to apply after receiving my PR card because of the delay in getting interview for the US visa. Can I apply with my Copr?.

mbalsara

Mar 7, 2017
Hi.. We.. family of 4 have copr and will land in July. I understood reading on the forums that we apply for US visa with copr but one should have a job before applying to convince them?.. we are planning a trip before we settle down with jobs. Or owning a car.. house lease docs or bank account help in convincing them? We could apply from home country but here appointment dates wait time is 2 months and we don't have that much of time. Would appreciate some advise. Thanks!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi.. We.. family of 4 have copr and will land in July. I understood reading on the forums that we apply for US visa with copr but one should have a job before applying to convince them?.. we are planning a trip before we settle down with jobs. Or owning a car.. house lease docs or bank account help in convincing them? We could apply from home country but here appointment dates wait time is 2 months and we don't have that much of time. Would appreciate some advise. Thanks!
It's recommended to have a job, but not required per se. It's really a case to case basis + the mood and opinion of the visa officer.

mbalsara

Mar 7, 2017
It's recommended to have a job, but not required per se. It's really a case to case basis + the mood and opinion of the visa officer.
Thanks so much for the reply! Will take a chance with car owning, bank account and house rental documents..

Best4best

Sep 24, 2018
Thanks Meya for also sharing your experience.
Hi Sotaj, Am a Nigerian ans will be lading in Canada next week and will like to apply for US visa. I already had 2yrs twice as a resident of UK London. A friend told me when i arrived Canada as permanent residents then apply for US visa 10yrs will be given.
I just want to know if you have applied this before and based on your experience do i need to have a job in Canada before applying for the US visa in Canada? Please explain more