+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply to jobs before applying for PGWP?

Sep 1, 2020
Hello! I'm a student who's just completed her one-year postgraduate program in Toronto. Owing to COVID circumstances, I had to travel back to my hometown in India in March, and have since completed my program from here.
I've now formally graduated from the course - I have a Confirmation of Graduation letter from my college, but my Final Transcripts (which, as I understand, are mandatory documents for the PGWP) will take over 3-4 weeks to be delivered. Therefore, I cannot submit my work permit application for the next 3-4 weeks.

My query: I wish to understand if it will be legal and permissible for me to start applying for jobs in those weeks, since the job application process is a long one and I'd like to get started without losing more time.
I do realise that the companies I apply to might ask for me to furnish a PGWP/PGWP application confirmation during the hiring process, but I believe that might likely happen only a few weeks from when I begin my job hunt. By that time, I hope to have my PGWP application submitted.

I am aware that one is legally allowed to look for/start working at a job once their PGWP application is submitted, and needs to stop only if rejected. But I am unsure about whether I'd be misstepping by starting to apply for jobs before I have even applied for my PGWP. Please advice me on what would be the right way to go forward. Thank you!

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
You're not allowed to travel to Canada for the explicit purpose of searching for a job if you don't have a work permit, but applying for jobs from outside Canada is totally fine.

Just be honest when asked by potential employers about your status.