+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply to extend working permit without AOR(File no)?

cndtjs

Jan 26, 2015
Hi Guys,

I am a PNP nominee in Ontario.
I sent the document 30 Oct 2014 and am still waiting the AOR from Sydny.

I'm work permit will expire March 2015.
Can I extend the work permit by flag pole at Niagara falls? without AOR?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cndtjs said:
Hi Guys,

I am a PNP nominee in Ontario.
I sent the document 30 Oct 2014 and am still waiting the AOR from Sydny.

I'm work permit will expire March 2015.
Can I extend the work permit by flag pole at Niagara falls? without AOR?
See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=171&t=17

"Flagpoling" essentially is re-entering Canada and in this case, applying for a WP as you enter Canada.

.../atb

mahmoud21

Jan 26, 2015
I think you can from what i've been reading. Just by having a nomination from Ontario I think you are eligible to apply for a temporary work permit to keep you in Canada while you put together a PR application. Look into it and let us know.

Mbgirlfriend

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19, 2015
AOR Received.
July 9, 2015
Med's Request
January 19, 2016
Med's Done....
February 1,2016
Passport Req..
April 15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 27,2016
LANDED..........
April 28,2016
ragluf said:
See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=171&t=17

"Flagpoling" essentially is re-entering Canada and in this case, applying for a WP as you enter Canada.

.../atb
Its not as complicated as that link makes it out to be. That link makes it sound like you need a LMIA but with the PNP nomination you don't need that.

You will need a job offer or a letter of employment from your employer. You may only need your PNP certificate or you may need a letter of recommendation from the PNP office. So call the PNP office ask them about a letter of recommendation. They will either send you one or tell you that you don't need one.

Then you can either apply on line or drive to the border to get one. If you are not far from the border then it may be worth the drive as the online applications are kind of confusing (like all CIC applications are).

If you can get implied status (meaning you can keep working after you have submitted your application for a new WP and until you receive a derision you can keep working) then you will be fine. But make sure you can get implied status. There are a few WP that can not benefit from implied status so make sure that you don't have one of those WP. Also keep in mind that if for some reason your WP is denied and your current one is expired you must quit working immediately. It seems to be taking close to a month to get an answer from them so chances are your current WP would be expired by the time you get a response.

So, you may find it less stressful to make the drive to the border. Just make sure you have all the correct documentation and maybe even extra to be safe before you make the drive.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mbgirlfriend said:
Its not as complicated as that link makes it out to be. That link makes it sound like you need a LMIA but with the PNP nomination you don't need that.
;D ;D It is actually simple as explained in the link - let me quote:

Can I apply for a work permit when I enter Canada?

Yes, you can apply for a work permit when you enter Canada if you:

do not need a temporary resident visa, and
do not need a document from Employment and Social Development Canada authorizing your employer to hire you (known as a Labour Market Impact Assessment, or LMIA) or
your employer already has an LMIA authorizing them to hire you.

The link explains all cases of which a work permit may be applied when an applicant enters Canada. The main requirement of getting a WP is an LMIA, however, there are certain cases that are deemed LMIA-exempt because of provincial/territorial agreements and/or pilot programs. Provincial Nominee programmes fall under federal-provincial agreements that allow for exemption from the LMIA requirement in obtaining a WP. Depending on the province agreements, either a letter of support is needed or only a provincial nomination certificate is needed, and these serve in lieu of an LMIA.

See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/territories-provinces.asp
Read the section: Foreign Workers Nominated by a Province or Territory

In some provinces, the nomination certificate is enough and a letter of support is not anymore issued.

I understand your point of view, however, it is limited only to the view of those with a PNP nomination certificate. The link shows ALL the conditions that have to be satisfied to apply for a WP upon entry. The OP may be eligible to apply for a WP upon entry (in this case flagpoling) if these conditions are satisfied. And the OP (as well as those who have obtained a provincial nomination letter/approval/certificate and/or a letter of support) - satisfies this condition:

do not need a document from Employment and Social Development Canada authorizing your employer to hire you (known as a Labour Market Impact Assessment, or LMIA)

The OP is LMIA-exempt (does not need a document...)

Now, there has been mixed results in getting a WP at the border - and you can search the forum for many, many references of non-visa exempt persons successful in flagpoling (just look at the Foreign Worker forum threads) whereas others have failed. The decision is entirely up to the applicant - note of warning, that there is no 100% guarantee one can get a WP at the border by flagpoling (spoken from experience).

.../atb