+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for spousal open work permit?

Vedhu

Sep 1, 2017
Hello everyone..
I came here as a student and unfortunately I discontinued my studies on September 15 (due to some academic issues).
My husband is working in Canada and he has a valid work permit.
Can I apply for dependent spousal visa?
My student permit was till (June 30,2018) but will expires soon as i discontinued my studies.
hope you guys can help me.....

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone..
I came here as a student and unfortunately I discontinued my studies on September 15 (due to some academic issues).
My husband is working in Canada and he has a valid work permit.
Can I apply for dependent spousal visa?
My student permit was till (June 30,2018) but will expires soon as i discontinued my studies.
hope you guys can help me.....
Hi

If his work permit was issued based on your study permit, you can't apply for a spousal open work permit; you would need to apply to change your status to visitor.

If he holds a work permit issued on his own merits and has a NOC A, B or 0 job, then you can apply for a work permit based on his status.

Vedhu

Sep 1, 2017
Ys..but my student visa will get expires soon..According to cic website ,processing time is noted as 12 months. So how can I stay here during the application process?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ys..but my student visa will get expires soon..According to cic website ,processing time is noted as 12 months. So how can I stay here during the application process?
You will have Implied Status after your study permit expires until you receive a decision on the work permit. Note that as you are no longer studying, you are not allowed to work and will not be allowed to work until your OWP is approved.