+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) before first landing?

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Hi Friends,
I applied for Express Entry for Permanent Residence in Canada and my application has been approved. I have sent the passports for the visa stamping to Ottawa processing center and am awaiting to receive my passport back.

I know I will have to come back to the US for some time after I do my first landing in Canada. Can I apply for the PRTD (the travel document) before my first landing in Canada? i.e. can I apply for PRTD today? Or do I need to wait till I get my passport (with visa stamped) and a letter from CIC? Or do I need to travel to Canada at least once before I can apply for a PRTD?

This is because I understand from other posts on PRTD that I cannot apply for PRTD while I am in Canada. I can only apply when I am outside Canada which sounds a bit risky to me as the processing time for PRTD might vary.

Thanks in advance! :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you can't apply for a PRTD before landing. You can only apply once you are officially a PR.

You need to travel to Canada at least once before you can apply for a PRTD.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agree with scylla. You are not a PR yet and therefore immigration will not consider your application for a PR travel document.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
scylla said:
No - you can't apply for a PRTD before landing. You can only apply once you are officially a PR.

You need to travel to Canada at least once before you can apply for a PRTD.
Thank you scylla!!! I have a follow-up question on this. After landing, if I leave Canada and apply for PRTD from that country, are there any chances for the application for PRTD getting rejected? I am trying to understand if there is a risk involved in stepping outside Canada after landing, but before you get your PR card.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
yodheydhara said:
Thank you scylla!!! I have a follow-up question on this. After landing, if I leave Canada and apply for PRTD from that country, are there any chances for the application for PRTD getting rejected? I am trying to understand if there is a risk involved in stepping outside Canada after landing, but before you get your PR card.
No, there is no risk; the PRTD would be approved.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yodheydhara said:
The PRTD can't be denied for you because you obviously still meet the RO. The RO for your first 5 years as a PR is that you have spent 730 days (2 years) in Canada or you still can. For the first 3 years of your PR, you may stay outside Canada and return for the last 2 so until those first 3 years have passed, it is impossible for you to be in breach of the RO.

Reactions: niravrocky

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Thank you guys, this is really helpful!
Two more questions - 1) What is RO? and 2) What is the approx time it takes for the PRTD to be processed (in India and in US)?

This is great information! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yodheydhara said:
Two more questions - 1) What is RO? and 2) What is the approx time it takes for the PRTD to be processed (in India and in US)?

RO = Residency obligation.

I don't know how long the processing time is but they are usually valid for 6 months so you can apply 6 months before you need one.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
yodheydhara said:

Average time is usually 2 weeks, but over on the Permanent Residency Obligation section on this forum, someone recently got theirs from India in 4 days.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
bellaluna said:
Average time is usually 2 weeks, but over on the Permanent Residency Obligation section on this forum, someone recently got theirs from India in 4 days.
Thank you bellaluna, this helps! :)