+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for masters in Canada with a 3 year UG degree and postgraduate diploma ?

jawmed

Nov 15, 2020
Hello everyone, I want to do masters in Canada. I’ve been checking websites of Canadian universities for entry requirements and all of them ask for a 4 year UG degree or a 3 year UG degree along with a masters degree.

I have a 3 year UG degree (BCA) and 1 year postgraduate diploma (PGDCA) will I qualify for masters in Canada ?

Someone please help me out I’ll be really grateful !

anmolwadera

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
Counsellors have told me that that they will accept a postgraduate diploma as your education would total to 16 years which Canada requires. (The institution has to be recognized by them though) But their are a few universities that do accept a 3 year degree too without masters- UBC, Simon Frasier, Queen's University

Reactions: jawmed

jawmed

Nov 15, 2020
Counsellors have told me that that they will accept a postgraduate diploma as your education would total to 16 years which Canada requires. (The institution has to be recognized by them though) But their are a few universities that do accept a 3 year degree too without masters- UBC, Simon Frasier, Queen's University

I am planning on applying to all universities so I want to be eligible for all criterias and my PG diploma is from IGNOU so I think that is a recognized institution. Can you please tell me if all universities will accept my postgraduate diploma as 16 years of education? I desperately need information regarding this, I have tried contacting the universities by e-mail but didn't get any response from them and I've tried searching online but there is no information available regarding this, so this forum is my last hope!

Last edited:

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello everyone, I want to do masters in Canada. I’ve been checking websites of Canadian universities for entry requirements and all of them ask for a 4 year UG degree or a 3 year UG degree along with a masters degree.

I have a 3 year UG degree (BCA) and 1 year postgraduate diploma (PGDCA) will I qualify for masters in Canada ?

Someone please help me out I’ll be really grateful !
Most require a 4 years Bachelor's to be applicable for a Master's. The only exception is for UK degrees usually

jawmed

Nov 15, 2020
Most require a 4 years Bachelor's to be applicable for a Master's. The only exception is for UK degrees usually
Yes I know that, but I've checked the university websites and they have mentioned that you either need a 4-year Bachelor's or a 3-year Bachelor's along with a Master's degree (ie total 16 years of education). My question is I have a 3-year Bachelor's and a 1 year post graduate diploma which totally accounts for 16 years of education and I wanted to know if I am qualified for applying to master's programs because the universities have asked for 16 years of education which I do have, but they haven't mentioned if my qualifications (3 year bachelors + 1 year postgrad diploma) are eligible or for the masters programs or not, I've sent mails to universities regarding this but none of them have responded back yet

anmolwadera

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
I am planning on applying to all universities so I want to be eligible for all criterias and my PG diploma is from IGNOU so I think that is a recognized institution. Can you please tell me if all universities will accept my postgraduate diploma as 16 years of education? I desperately need information regarding this, I have tried contacting the universities by e-mail but didn't get any response from them and I've tried searching online but there is no information available regarding this, so this forum is my last hope!
Well I don't know which university will and which won't. Go and email them again because that is your only choice at the moment i guess. Some won't reply but some of them will but they will take time.

jawmed

Nov 15, 2020
Well I don't know which university will and which won't. Go and email them again because that is your only choice at the moment i guess. Some won't reply but some of them will but they will take time.
Thanks for the reply! So your counsellors have told you that a postgrad diploma is valid for 16 years of education, am I correct?

jawmed

Nov 15, 2020
Post grad diploma is not the same as Master's in Canada. You need to get WES to certify your diploma as Master's or else it doesnt count
Thank you for your reply but I believe you might have misunderstood the question which I have asked originally. I know WES evaluations are necessary when you are applying for visa but before I do that I have to send my educational transcripts directly to the university so that they can evaluate if I am eligible for getting into their Master's program.

So I am from India and if you are an International student applying to universities the unis have specific requirements for a particular country. In India we have 3 year bachelors as well as 4 year bachelors, the 3 year bachelors totals up to 15 years of education and the 4 year bachelors to 16 years of education. In the Candian university websites they have asked for 4 year bachelors as a requirement (ie 16 years of education) for entry into their masters program but if someone only has a 3 year bachelors they need to have that 3 year bachelors degree plus a masters degree from their home country. I don't have the masters degree from my country but I do have 15 years of education plus 1 year of postgrad diploma which accounts for 16 years of total education.

So that was my original question whether I will be eligible to apply for masters programs in Canada with a 3 year bachelors and a post grad diploma because it amounts for 16 years of education. I've checked all the university websites but there is no information regarding this and I have even e-mailed them regarding this but haven't received any reply yet. Also the universities conduct their own evaluation and don't require an evaluation from WES

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thank you for your reply but I believe you might have misunderstood the question which I have asked originally. I know WES evaluations are necessary when you are applying for visa but before I do that I have to send my educational transcripts directly to the university so that they can evaluate if I am eligible for getting into their Master's program.

So I am from India and if you are an International student applying to universities the unis have specific requirements for a particular country. In India we have 3 year bachelors as well as 4 year bachelors, the 3 year bachelors totals up to 15 years of education and the 4 year bachelors to 16 years of education. In the Candian university websites they have asked for 4 year bachelors as a requirement (ie 16 years of education) for entry into their masters program but if someone only has a 3 year bachelors they need to have that 3 year bachelors degree plus a masters degree from their home country. I don't have the masters degree from my country but I do have 15 years of education plus 1 year of postgrad diploma which accounts for 16 years of total education.

So that was my original question whether I will be eligible to apply for masters programs in Canada with a 3 year bachelors and a post grad diploma because it amounts for 16 years of education. I've checked all the university websites but there is no information regarding this and I have even e-mailed them regarding this but haven't received any reply yet. Also the universities conduct their own evaluation and don't require an evaluation from WES
I just told you, many Canadian universities don't consider pg diploma for masters admission. If the requirement says Masters then you need Masters.

anmolwadera

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
I will tell you that you should yourself contact some abroad education consultant agency and ask them this doubt for your own satisfaction. Yes, some universities might not accept but this is route that taken by students to satisfy the criteria. You can even find this info in blogs on the internet.

jawmed

Nov 15, 2020
I will tell you that you should yourself contact some abroad education consultant agency and ask them this doubt for your own satisfaction. Yes, some universities might not accept but this is route that taken by students to satisfy the criteria. You can even find this info in blogs on the internet.
Thank you very much for this information !

jesssingh

Nov 17, 2020
Hi,
I am facing the same issue as yours. I am from India too. I recently completed my 3 years bachelors degree. Even I am deciding on being able to fulfil these criteria and whether I should go for PG diploma/certificate to b eligible. Let's connect and we can share information. Also, try contacting the faculty or administration staff given on the university website like any graduate advisor or assistant or program director, because they reply faster.

jawmed

Nov 15, 2020
Hi,
I am facing the same issue as yours. I am from India too. I recently completed my 3 years bachelors degree. Even I am deciding on being able to fulfil these criteria and whether I should go for PG diploma/certificate to b eligible. Let's connect and we can share information. Also, try contacting the faculty or administration staff given on the university website like any graduate advisor or assistant or program director, because they reply faster.
I have E-mailed universities regarding this but I didn't get any response yet.