+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for citizenship outside of Canada?

Jhan47

Star Member
Nov 17, 2018
Hello all,

I did my application online OUTSIDE of Canada and I've got my AOR few weeks ago.

I read somewhere that you have to be INSIDE Canada when you send your application? Is this accurate? What do I do now?

Thanks in advance!

Jacob

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Hello all,

I did my application online OUTSIDE of Canada and I've got my AOR few weeks ago.

I read somewhere that you have to be INSIDE Canada when you send your application? Is this accurate? What do I do now?

Thanks in advance!

Jacob
Isn't the return date to Canada a required field in physical presence calculator? What did you enter in that field?

Jhan47

Star Member
Nov 17, 2018
Given that piece of information is incorrect, you have to do something about it. They will pull up CBSA records to cross check all your dates as part of routine processing. It's definitely not to the level of misrepresenting criminal records but if it gets in the wrong hands, the office can argue you intentionally misrepresented being in Canada.

1. If you are sure rules prevent you from applying outside Canada, withdraw the application as soon as possible while also mentioning you were unaware of that requirement before and as soon as you are aware, you are applying to withdraw. You previous withdrawals might be looked at during your future applications so you have provide a proper explanation while withdrawing.

2. If you know there is a way around that requirement and you qualify for it, file a correction about that return date and saying you were applying from abroad and qualify for an exemption.

I think 2 is unlikely but I don't know the rules.

If you delay, it may become a problem with future applications especially if it gets in the hands of someone who doesn't look at these mistakes too kindly.
Thank you for your information.

I sent a WebForm explaining what happened and asked them what i should do. But at the end of it the website shows - you webform won't be replied if its within the processing time....

Is there any other ways that I can "file a correction"?

Jhan47

Star Member
Nov 17, 2018
If you want to just correct the information and keep the application open, does it mean you know you are allowed to apply for citizenship from outside Canada? Otherwise, that doesn't make any sense.

I'm assuming there is some situation preventing you from returning. If that's the case you can verify if they allow applications while outside. May be you can call the IRCC line? The longer you wait, the longer you are at the risk of being refused and possibly the next application being scrutinized. I'm not sure which office/at which stage they verify travel dates.

Don't forget misrepresentations carry heavy penalties if they think you are misrepresenting. I don't know the return date will count as misrepresenting but anything significant in your application that doesn't match with facts will invite thorough scrutiny.

Again filing a correction still doesn't change the fact you are outside. It's up to you how you want to proceed.
So I called IRCC and re-asked him the question a few times and he told me not to worry about it. If there's anything unclear, IRCC would reach out to me. And he suggest me to send a webform which I did already.

I'll call again to see if different agents have different opinions.