+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I accept job offer with study permit and later switch to PGWP before actually starting?

mehrab2603

Jan 20, 2018
Hello,
I have a job offer from a company who wants me to sign the offer letter within a week. The problem is that I am on study permit and so cannot provide a PGWP/OWP required as part of accepting the offer. I will graduate mid next month (August) and can provide a valid PGWP then, but not now. My study permit allows me to work off campus for 20 hours during non-summer months and full-time during summer months. The start date at this company is mid September by which point I should have a valid PGWP. For now, can I use the study permit to accept the offer for now and then switch to PGWP before actually starting at the company? I will suggest this option to the recruiter tomorrow, but just wanted to know if this is legally allowed.

jeeneet

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Hello,
I have a job offer from a company who wants me to sign the offer letter within a week. The problem is that I am on study permit and so cannot provide a PGWP/OWP required as part of accepting the offer. I will graduate mid next month (August) and can provide a valid PGWP then, but not now. My study permit allows me to work off campus for 20 hours during non-summer months and full-time during summer months. The start date at this company is mid September by which point I should have a valid PGWP. For now, can I use the study permit to accept the offer for now and then switch to PGWP before actually starting at the company? I will suggest this option to the recruiter tomorrow, but just wanted to know if this is legally allowed.
No problem in accepting an offer *subject to PGWP* And ensure that you start working for the recruiter once you have the valid work permit. All the best