+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can GED be shown as proof of language requirement in Citizenship application ?

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
Hello all
I am asking for a friend who is going to apply for Citizenship and has no IELTS, no post secondary education (only grade 9 certificate in English medium), can that person show GED certificate (only) as proof of language requirement for Canadian Citizenship application?

Thanks

Bepatient

Nov 8, 2013
Please refer to CIC website with regards to language requirements and tests accepted.

Scroll down to 2. Language proof if you are 18-64 years of age

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
Thank you Bepatient

Yes, i did went through this list before but i guess what i am asking ,Will GED certificate qualifies as Canadian secondary program?

from CIC
"2.Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad."

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
milo2015 said:
Thank you Bepatient

Yes, i did went through this list before but i guess what i am asking ,Will GED certificate qualifies as Canadian secondary program?

from CIC
"2.Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad."
I guess it is subject to the individual officer's interpretation - and I would not accept it. The whole point of this requirement is to prove someone not just has the knowledge equivalent to secondary education, but also the experience of developing that knowledge while using English for interacting with various people through speaking, listening and writing, and GED doesn't cover most of those-it is just an exam that proves one has that knowledge but doesn't specifically test the language ability

research-scientist

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itsmyid said:
I guess it is subject to the individual officer's interpretation - and I would not accept it. The whole point of this requirement is to prove someone not just has the knowledge equivalent to secondary education, but also the experience of developing that knowledge while using English for interacting with various people through speaking, listening and writing, and GED doesn't cover most of those-it is just an exam that proves one has that knowledge but doesn't specifically test the language ability
Any proof for that? GED is a secondary education certificate. So you would accept a BSc degree from India for example as a proof of language but not a GED from an American or British?!?!?

Natan

May 22, 2015
itsmyid said:
The GED test is administered in the USA and Canada and is the equivalent of a high/secondary school diploma. The test battery consists of several modules which include reading, writing, social studies and science. A passing grade requires a high school level fluency in English.

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
you guys are right. GED for those who dont have secondary education and hence after GED one can apply to college or university in Canada for post-secondary studies. Thats why i asked as i assumed its equivalent to Canadian secondary education.

I guess, speaking to IRCC will clarify this.

Natan

May 22, 2015
milo2015 said:
you guys are right. GED for those who dont have secondary education and hence after GED one can apply to college or university in Canada for post-secondary studies. Thats why i asked as i assumed its equivalent to Canadian secondary education.

I guess, speaking to IRCC will clarify this.
The GED test is the EQUIVALENT of a high/secondary school diploma. Someone who lacks a secondary education cannot pass it. A passing grade on the GED test ESTABLISHES that the person DOES HAVE a secondary education. Some people have a GED diploma IN ADDITION to their high/secondary school diploma.

You should CERTAINLY check with IRCC to determine if a GED diploma will satisfy the language requirement. Please let us know what they say.

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
Natan said:
The GED test is the EQUIVALENT of a high/secondary school diploma. Someone who lacks a secondary education cannot pass it. A passing grade on the GED test ESTABLISHES that the person DOES HAVE a secondary education. Some people have a GED diploma IN ADDITION to their high/secondary school diploma.

You should CERTAINLY check with IRCC to determine if a GED diploma will satisfy the language requirement. Please let us know what they say.
I checked with IRCC and the agent was super confused about GED ,did not have any idea about. Later finished call with saying it has to be diploma or degree . NO certificate.
When i go through IRCC website it says certificates are acceptable too.

Natan

May 22, 2015
milo2015 said:
I checked with IRCC and the agent was super confused about GED ,did not have any idea about. Later finished call with saying it has to be diploma or degree . NO certificate.
When i go through IRCC website it says certificates are acceptable too.
In addition to the GED test results, a "diploma" is also issued. One can contact the institute that administered the GED test to request a "diploma".