+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can family live in Canada and get citizenship without the principal applicant?

khan2015

May 21, 2015
Hello experts,

Me and my family got PR last year and came back to Saudi Arabia where I have a very good job with Saudi Aramco. We are a bit confused as I do not want to loose my job and also do not want to loose the chance of Canadian citizenship !!! If I leave my family in Canada and they meet the requirements of staying there for 4 years, can they get Canadian citizenship while I stay here and continue my job is Saudi Arabia?
Is there any requirement that the principal applicant must also be there with the wife and kids?

Please guide about this, many thanks in advance.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
khan2015 said:
Hello experts,

Me and my family got PR last year and came back to Saudi Arabia where I have a very good job with Saudi Aramco. We are a bit confused as I do not want to loose my job and also do not want to loose the chance of Canadian citizenship !!! If I leave my family in Canada and they meet the requirements of staying there for 4 years, can they get Canadian citizenship while I stay here and continue my job is Saudi Arabia?
Is there any requirement that the principal applicant must also be there with the wife and kids?

Please guide about this, many thanks in advance.
Yes, your family can qualify without you. However, you should be aware that by leaving your family here, you are establishing yourself as a resident of Canada for tax purposes and all your income in KSA will be subject to Canadian tax.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
As long as your family are PRs they don't need you to qualify for citizenship. Your wife will probably get RQed because her spouse is working overseas, but as long as she meets the requirements, she should eventually get citizenship. You on the other hand would eventually lose your PR status, although your future Canadian citizen wife may be able to sponsor you for PR again in the future. While you may be subject to Canadian tax filing requirements, there are foreign tax credits and tax treaties that might help you avoid double taxation.

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
I think Saudi Arabia you don't need to pay income tax anyway. I understand why you want your family to live and settle here in Canada.

fishbone

Star Member
Mar 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
December_Applicant said:
Saudi Arabia is a country based on Islam and I believe it is more aligned with your culture, tradition and pakistani values. So why do you want Canadian citizenship, if I may ask.
How do you know what country is aligned with his personal values? Making overarching generalizations that are not relevant to this conversation are quite unhelpful.

Also, I'm not sure what Canada you've been living in but the Canada that I live in has people from all over the world with different backgrounds, values, ideas and goals - And the people of Canada that I live with are accepting of everyone. I would urge you to not judge people's intentions because they are of a specific religion or nationality.

December_Applicant said:
Canada is founded on democratic principles and respects individual rights and freedoms.
Don't preach it if you don't believe it yourself, bud.

December_Applicant said:
Are you okay with the idea that your wife and daughters wearing bikinis and running on the beach? If you decided to keep them covered up then please try Saudi Arabia as your belief system more matches with the Saudi system.
Please take a moment to realize that you sound like an extremely narrow-minded person. You basically read this guy's last name and assumed an incredible amount about him. There's a lot more to people than where they are from or what religion they believe in.

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Stop being judgemental, even Canadian born citizen work abroad for better wages. Aramco employee they have a very good salary and the fact that he will be able to support his family by his earnings is way better, comparing to some people who might be living here in Canada, but, will need financial support from the Government in order to survive.

samdxb

Star Member
Jun 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
1 june letter dated 25 may
VISA ISSUED...
sent on 8 june, stamped 17 june, recieved 28 june
LANDED..........
26 july Inshallah
You can have your family stay here and they can apply for Citizenship. I would suggest that you tell your wife to get some part time job as well to show her intent to reside and get established here, buy some property here. Also once they get their citizenship you can continue to revive your PR for as long as you want, try to live here 2 years out of 5 otherwise there are appeals process to revive your PR. Yes you will not be entitled to Citizenship, but I am sure you understand it is not worth it to leave the biggest company in the world to move here.

People who have not been to different parts of the world have a tunnel vision. They cannot relate to the taste of luxury, winter has frozen their grey matters.

Also consult some tax consultant for the tax part. They have options. Tax avoidance and evasion are two different things, we all try to get the best deal for ourselves and even the tax authorities allow that. Please do consult.

Reactions: qureishi

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
samdxb said:
Also consult some tax consultant for the tax part. They have options. Tax avoidance and evasion are two different things, we all try to get the best deal for ourselves and even the tax authorities allow that. Please do consult.
There are no options for avoiding taxes. Any consultant who advises you otherwise is telling you to do something illegal.

samdxb

Star Member
Jun 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
1 june letter dated 25 may
VISA ISSUED...
sent on 8 june, stamped 17 june, recieved 28 june
LANDED..........
26 july Inshallah
I wasn't talking about doing anything illegal. When you file a tax return, there are lots of expenses that you can claim, lots of benefits that the tax laws give to a resident as well as non resident. I was talking about exploring them.

khan2015

May 21, 2015
Greetings all,

thanks a lot to all of you who replied

Love this forum where so many people are there to guide you, you never feel alone !

:)