+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Dependent choose not to send his or her passport?

Maya111

Jun 11, 2016
Hello Everyone :)

Thank you for all these posts and support. I'll try to be as brief as possible with this one!

The issue is that we have received a passport request after 6 years of wait! We belong to the family sponsorship category, and the principal applicant is my mother. The application includes my father, and me and my sister are the two dependents (Hence, 4 passports were requested). We went through all the procedures; however, as the CIC sent us the passport request, my sister decided that she does not want to move to Canada. My sister is married, she has a job and she is now pregnant.

When I went to submit the passports to the visa office in my country, and as I tried to explain the case, the officer refused the submission because only 3 passports were submitted (my sister's passport was not included). The officer asked me to send an email to CIC, informing them that my sister will not submit send her passport, receiving a reply from CIC, and then come back to submit the passports with the email.

I explained the case to CIC via email; however, I did not receive any reply. A few days before the 30 days period given by the CIC for me to submit the passports, I went to the visa office again and submitted three passports while explaining that I did not receive any reply.

Will the application be returned to us? Will my sister's decision have an effect on the processing of our PR visa? What are the steps that I should expect from the CIC in this case?

Thank you a lot for taking the time to help!

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
The easiest would be for the sister to send in her passport and then just not go to Canada.

impatientwife

Jan 28, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2015
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
File Transfer...
25-01-2016
Med's Done....
UPFRONT/Extended until Aug/2017
Interview........
06/12/2016
Passport Req..
TOMORROW WOULD BE NICE LOL
VISA ISSUED...
ON SPOT ☺☺☺
LANDED..........
Already Did
Sous02 said:
The easiest would be for the sister to send in her passport and then just not go to Canada.
Exactly plus she could also land and return to her country and through out the years go back and forth etc why potentially screw everything up now for everyone I don't know for sure what cic will do I don't want to be negative so let's hope for the best.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Maya111 said:
My sister is married, she has a job and she is now pregnant.
Your sister should have been removed from the app as soon as she got married, as she no longer qualifies as a dependent. To keep her included in the app is misrepresentation.

Maya111

Jun 11, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Your sister should have been removed from the app as soon as she got married, as she no longer qualifies as a dependent. To keep her included in the app is misrepresentation.
Thank you for your replies! We read that she can be inadmissable to canada if the pr visa is stamped and not used. We already informed the Cic that both dependents are married and we are still considered eligible because the age is locked in as of the application date which is 2010.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Maya111 said:
Thank you for your replies! We read that she can be inadmissable to canada if the pr visa is stamped and not used. We already informed the Cic that both dependents are married and we are still considered eligible because the age is locked in as of the application date which is 2010.
It doesnt matter about the age lock in. They are no longer dependents once they get married. They need to be removed from the application.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Maya111 said:
We already informed the Cic that both dependents are married
If you are married, then you must remove yourself also from the application. Married children of applicants can NOT be considered as dependents, no matter when the app was filed or if children were single at that time. The second you got married, you no longer qualified as a dependent.

If you try to get your COPR and land as PR as single, you will be committing misrepresentation. Also if you land as single, you will never be able to sponsor your wife to Canada ever.

Most likely since you've already told CIC you're married, they will simply remove you from the application themselves.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Maya111 said:
As said above, the lock in date for age has NOTHING to do with marital status. Both of you are no longer dependents and need to be removed from the app.

Maya111

Jun 11, 2016
Rob_TO said:
If you are married, then you must remove yourself also from the application. Married children of applicants can NOT be considered as dependents, no matter when the app was filed or if children were single at that time. The second you got married, you no longer qualified as a dependent.

If you try to get your COPR and land as PR as single, you will be committing misrepresentation. Also if you land as single, you will never be able to sponsor your wife to Canada ever.

Most likely since you've already told CIC you're married, they will simply remove you from the application themselves.
Are you sure this is the case? Because i cant find it anywhere on cic. Thank you

Maya111

Jun 11, 2016
impatientwife said:
Exactly plus she could also land and return to her country and through out the years go back and forth etc why potentially screw everything up now for everyone I don't know for sure what cic will do I don't want to be negative so let's hope for the best.
Thank youu, am hoping for the best :/

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Maya111 said:
Are you sure this is the case? Because i cant find it anywhere on cic. Thank you
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf
5.13. Who qualifies as a dependent child?
In order to meet R2(b)(i) of the definition of “dependent child”, a child must be under 22 years of
age and not a spouse or common-law partner on the date when the IMM 1344AE is received by
CPC-M, and not a spouse or common-law partner when the visa is issued, and when they arrive
in Canada.

5.23. When must requirements be met by family members?
Dependent children under 22 years of age
-Is under 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner
when the application is received by CPC-M; and
- without taking into account their age, they continue not to be
married or not involved in a common-law relationship at visa
issuance and when they enter Canada

Maya111

Jun 11, 2016
5.13. Who qualifies as a dependent child?
In order to meet R2(b)(i) of the definition of “dependent child”, a child must be under 22 years of
age and not a spouse or common-law partner on the date when the IMM 1344AE is received by
CPC-M, and not a spouse or common-law partner when the visa is issued, and when they arrive
in Canada.

5.23. When must requirements be met by family members?
Dependent children under 22 years of age
-Is under 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner
when the application is received by CPC-M; and
- without taking into account their age, they continue not to be
married or not involved in a common-law relationship at visa
issuance and when they enter Canada

[/quote]

:( :( :( :( :(
In this case both my sister and I are not qualified. But CIC knows we are married, they also have our marriage certificates, Quebec also issued certificat de selection (CSQ) for all of us. Is this the procedure for all non-qualified dependents? Because we have a third sister, who was above the required age for being a dependent when we submitted the application, and none of these procedures were required for her.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are married, you should expect that CIC will drop you from the application before the PR visa is issued. You no longer qualify as a dependent if you are now married.

Maya111

Jun 11, 2016
Hello guys,

I have submitted 3 passports instead of 4 (i did not submit my sister's passport because she does not want to accompany us to canada) on friday. This morning I missed a call from the Canadian embassy, and this afternoon I received a message saying that our has been dispatched and that I may collect them by tomorrow. So what do you think? I don't think that our passports are stamped already! Do they accept another submission?
Please help :(