+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can COPR be delayed?

shreyas707

Apr 11, 2024
Hi all, I finished my medical and waiting for COPR currently. I'm also going to get married soon.

Spousal Sponsorship is going to be a very lengthy process if I get my COPR as I can't update my application after getting COPR (is what my immigration counselor told me)
Ideally, I'd like to get married before receiving COPR, and then update the status so that both of us will receive it together and I don't have to go through the spousal sponsorship route.

Getting married will take at least 1.5 months. I'm afraid I'll receive the COPR before that and will be forced to go through the spousal sponsorship route.

So my question is - Can I delay getting the COPR by any chance? What are my other options here?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all, I finished my medical and waiting for COPR currently. I'm also going to get married soon.

Spousal Sponsorship is going to be a very lengthy process if I get my COPR as I can't update my application after getting COPR (is what my immigration counselor told me)
Ideally, I'd like to get married before receiving COPR, and then update the status so that both of us will receive it together and I don't have to go through the spousal sponsorship route.

Getting married will take at least 1.5 months. I'm afraid I'll receive the COPR before that and will be forced to go through the spousal sponsorship route.

So my question is - Can I delay getting the COPR by any chance? What are my other options here?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
There's really no way to delay COPR.

You should post to the Express Entry section of the forum rather than here since you yourself are going through the PR process and are not already Canadian.

Reactions: shreyas707

shreyas707

Apr 11, 2024
There's really no way to delay COPR.

You should post to the Express Entry section of the forum rather than here since you yourself are going through the PR process and are not already Canadian.
@scylla would really appreciate if you could give me some input for this. I tried asking this question in Express Entry section, but didn't get a reply -

If I understand the COPR process correctly, to get my COPR, I'll first get a passport submission request from IRCC. This passport submission request has a 30 day window.

I'm also hoping to add my spouse to the application after receiving the marriage certificate in the next 10 days. So, I had 2 questions regarding this:

1. Can I add my spouse to my application before receiving the passport submission request for COPR?
2. What happens if I receive the passport submission request? Can I still add them before submitting the passport during the 30 day window?

I couldn't find any links on the official IRCC website regarding this. So any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@scylla would really appreciate if you could give me some input for this. I tried asking this question in Express Entry section, but didn't get a reply -

If I understand the COPR process correctly, to get my COPR, I'll first get a passport submission request from IRCC. This passport submission request has a 30 day window.

I'm also hoping to add my spouse to the application after receiving the marriage certificate in the next 10 days. So, I had 2 questions regarding this:

1. Can I add my spouse to my application before receiving the passport submission request for COPR?
2. What happens if I receive the passport submission request? Can I still add them before submitting the passport during the 30 day window?

I couldn't find any links on the official IRCC website regarding this. So any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
As soon as you have the marriage certificate, you'll have to update. The copr is a red herring, they'll put the copr on hold or cancel it (pending clearing your spouse) when you do that, depending on which exact stage you are at.

And whatever happens, there will of course he a delay as they'll have to clear (meds, bio, background, eligibility., etc) your spouse regardless.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You only posted the question yesterday. People give advice here for free and it can take time for someone to respond. If you are looking for immediate answers, you'll need to hire a lawyer.

There are already multiple threads in the EE section of the forum that deal with this topic. Look through the EE section of the forum, find those threads and join discussions there. Here are a few:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/adding-spouse-to-pr-application-post-aor-please-join-here.613286/page-49

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/adding-spouse-after-copr.760494/