+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can. citizen married to US citizen (PR in Canada) want to move to USA

wvyw77Wd

Feb 13, 2008
I hope someone can help me out. I have searched this forum and many more and can not find an answer to our situation.

My US citizen husband and I have been married almost 2 years (in Canada) and he became a PR in March 2007. Recently, we have been debating about possibly moving to California. I know that every PR needs to fulfill 2/5 years in Canada to keep status. However I have read on various websites that there is an exemption - if a PR is married to a Canadian citizen, time spent away from Canada can still be counted as time physically spent in Canada. Can anyone give me more information on this? How much time is allowed?

AND!

As a Canadian citizen, I can be a US visitor upto 6 months. IF I were to get a green card, can I then move to USA and live there, and if it doesn't work out come back to Canada without any consequences? I realize that I would loose OHIP and stuff, but if I ever wanted to come back and resettle, would there be problems?

Thanks!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
wvyw77Wd said:
I hope someone can help me out. I have searched this forum and many more and can not find an answer to our situation.

My US citizen husband and I have been married almost 2 years (in Canada) and he became a PR in March 2007. Recently, we have been debating about possibly moving to California. I know that every PR needs to fulfill 2/5 years in Canada to keep status. However I have read on various websites that there is an exemption - if a PR is married to a Canadian citizen, time spent away from Canada can still be counted as time physically spent in Canada. Can anyone give me more information on this? How much time is allowed?
There's no limit on the amount of time. Your husband can count each day that you are residing together.

wvyw77Wd said:
As a Canadian citizen, I can be a US visitor upto 6 months. IF I were to get a green card, can I then move to USA and live there, and if it doesn't work out come back to Canada without any consequences? I realize that I would loose OHIP and stuff, but if I ever wanted to come back and resettle, would there be problems?

Thanks!
There are residency requirements for the U.S. as well. So if you get your green card and then return to Canada, at some point you'd lose your U.S. residency - unless you went the extra step and applied for U.S. citizenship.