+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can canadian get gc while fiance waits for PR?

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My question is if an American marries a Canadian and the American applies for PR in Canada, can the couple go to the US in the meantime and also apply for the Canadian to get her green card in the US? We are in Canada now, but are aware that in order for me to work here after marriage it could take a while for me to get PR, so in the meantime we are hoping we could go to the states so I can work, and from there, apply for her to get a green card since its a lot faster for a canadian to get a green card then for me to get my PR in canada. Bu we both would like to have both options since we might move back to Canada once I would be allowed to work there. Is this possible? Thanks.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
i'm sure it's technically possible, at least i've not heard anything stating it is NOT possible...

but to get Canadian residency while the sponsor is living outside Canada, ties to canada and intention to return must be demonstrated... i'd say if they find out about the Canadian applying for a green card, your proof of returning to Canada better be rock solid.... Canadian PR status has been designed for people who want to live in Canada,and not really for people who may want to have the option to go there in the future...

I don't think processing green cards is any less or more difficult than canadian residency... typically well prepared, complete and accurate applications of sponsorship of US spouses with sufficient proof and no eligiblity issues are processed in 3-4ish months, occassionally even shorter... the timeline on the website is the 80% threshold (80% of applicaitons are processed in that time or LESS)...

mmshock

Star Member
Jan 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Done....
11-02-2011
Passport Req..
30-08-2011
LANDED..........
08-09-2011
I also think a few things might make this difficult or not necessarily "worth it" -

While someone has a US residency/Green Card application being processed, unlike in Canada, they are NOT allowed to visit. Don't know how that might affect your situation.

Also, in both countries, if you don't USE your PR you lose it. If you both find great jobs in CA and live and work there for I believe three years - there goes your green card. Or vice versa. I know someone who let theirs lapse and now has difficulty even being able to visit!

I know its nice to have options, my husband and I were debating doing the same, but after looking at the situation and assessing what we really wanted we chose Canada.

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong on either of these statements.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I'd say choose which country you want to live in now, and apply only for that residency. She can stay with you in the US while your Canadian PR is being processed, but she will have to prove she will go back to Canda to live, which might be difficult to do if she is also trying to get a green card.
If she applies for a green card, and then abandons the application when you get your Canadian PR, it might be harder for her to get it later if you two decide to move to the US years down the line.