+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Canadian citizen who formerly were refugee go back home?

Raifed

Aug 17, 2022
Thank you so much everyone for your replies and possible scenarios from all angles.

There is no misrepresentation in my case, my situation was literally in the newspaper in my country which made my case strong enough to have a positive verdict within 1 hour (30 min more likely as the rest of the time the judge was describing me my rights and other chitchats).

It is much easy to go incognito and visit my country of origin and be in hiding for 3 weeks and come back to my new home country Canada than to live in hiding and fear for my life like I used to back in my country of origin.

One does miss their family and the lives they have left behind. after years of separation and living a safe but lonely life in Canada hence the craving of visiting.

Reactions: Mounat

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
You can visit, of course. You are a Canadian citizen and have all the privileges and protections as such. Will it be safe for you to go home? Only you can answer that. Will being a Canadian citizen help if you get in trouble back home? E.g., be incarcerated, or otherwise have to deal with the legal system in your birth country? Maybe. As a dual citizen, you likely fall under the jurisdiction of your birth country's laws when you are there. Canada may advocate for you but can't override that country's laws. So, it's travel at your own risk (as with any travel) but not because you risk having issues coming back to Canada.

Good luck and safe travels.

P.S. As a former refugee, I visited my birth country several times after acquiring Canadian citizenship.

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you so much everyone for your replies and possible scenarios from all angles.

There is no misrepresentation in my case, my situation was literally in the newspaper in my country which made my case strong enough to have a positive verdict within 1 hour (30 min more likely as the rest of the time the judge was describing me my rights and other chitchats).

It is much easy to go incognito and visit my country of origin and be in hiding for 3 weeks and come back to my new home country Canada than to live in hiding and fear for my life like I used to back in my country of origin.

One does miss their family and the lives they have left behind. after years of separation and living a safe but lonely life in Canada hence the craving of visiting.

Have a safe trip.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but in your place, I would contact a lawyer, or at least an association or organization, to notify them of your travel dates: departure and return date.

If all goes well, allejuja!

Otherwise, a lawyer, or an association will be informed, and this could possibly help you if you are arrested or whatever (media pressure, pressure on global affairs canada to act with the authorities of the country of origin, right to consular assistance from the local Canadian embassy, etc.).

In short, I think that if your story is true and it has really been publicized in the newspapers as you say, I think that some precautions will be necessary.

Reactions: Mounat and YVR123

Raifed

Aug 17, 2022
You can visit, of course. You are a Canadian citizen and have all the privileges and protections as such. Will it be safe for you to go home? Only you can answer that. Will being a Canadian citizen help if you get in trouble back home? E.g., be incarcerated, or otherwise have to deal with the legal system in your birth country? Maybe. As a dual citizen, you likely fall under the jurisdiction of your birth country's laws when you are there. Canada may advocate for you but can't override that country's laws. So, it's travel at your own risk (as with any travel) but not because you risk having issues coming back to Canada.

Good luck and safe travels.

P.S. As a former refugee, I visited my birth country several times after acquiring Canadian citizenship.
That's really nice that you can visit your country of origin. I was confused with the American flag on your profile picture and thought you got citizenship in the states then i re read your post.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day. I got my Canadian citizenship on 30th November 2022 and applied for a Canadian passport shortly after.

I was a protected person, who claimed asylum in Canada in late 2017.

My question is can I go back to my home country for a short visit without risking my citizenship status in Canada?

I also want to travel to my home country using my Canadian Passport.
You need to travel on your Canadian passport on the return to Canada and if you want to minimize any chances of problems you shouldn’t travel using your home country passport. Travelling using multiple passports on the same trip can be viewed as questionable and may lead to further investigation. Using your Canadian passport is viewed as travelling under the protection of Canada although the protection is limited in many countries.

TIGER123

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Good day. I got my Canadian citizenship on 30th November 2022 and applied for a Canadian passport shortly after.

My question is can I go back to my home country for a short visit without risking my citizenship status in Canada?

Go ahead, As Canadian you are FREE my friend. you want to stay back in your home country as well, you can do it as you are CANADIAN now!

Alikhan115674

Apr 13, 2020

Did you visit and come back ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010