+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can anyone help with a few questions?

Sep 22, 2009
I'm trying to sponsor my wife (japanese) and have been getting little (if any at all) help from the consulate here in tokyo. ( I see that im not the only one. ) Seems like everyone everywhere is getting the same. But if anyone out the can help me with a few questions i have, it would be very much appreciated.

1. Do i have to find out if im eligible to sponsor before going ahead with her forms?

2. The forms ask if im a canadian citizen or a permanent resident (was born there) then asks me on what date it happened. Is this my birthday or ....???

3. What is a co-signer and do i need/should i have one?

4. If only one person is being sponsored. (just the wife) do i have to include the attached page for other family members in the app. and if so, do i leave it blank or write N/A???

5. Do they require actual photos or are colour copies ok?

6. Do i need to do the financial evaluation?? (i read an if applicable somewhere) if so, how do i know?

SOrry if they seem like stupid questions, but i do ask them in earnest.

Hope you can help.

Regards. J.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Slowlygoingcrazy said:
I'm trying to sponsor my wife (japanese) and have been getting little (if any at all) help from the consulate here in tokyo. ( I see that im not the only one. ) Seems like everyone everywhere is getting the same. But if anyone out the can help me with a few questions i have, it would be very much appreciated.

1. Do i have to find out if im eligible to sponsor before going ahead with her forms?

2. The forms ask if im a canadian citizen or a permanent resident (was born there) then asks me on what date it happened. Is this my birthday or ....???

3. What is a co-signer and do i need/should i have one?

4. If only one person is being sponsored. (just the wife) do i have to include the attached page for other family members in the app. and if so, do i leave it blank or write N/A???

5. Do they require actual photos or are colour copies ok?

6. Do i need to do the financial evaluation?? (i read an if applicable somewhere) if so, how do i know?

SOrry if they seem like stupid questions, but i do ask them in earnest.

Hope you can help.

Regards. J.
1. No, fill your sponsor forms, have the PR applicant complete hers and send to you. You then send both sponsor and PR applications to CPC. Read the sponsors guide. Have the PR applicant read the PR guide, carefully.
2. Yes, enter your DOB.
3. If you are sponsoring a spouse or common law partner then you do not have a co-signer.
4. You must list all family members whether they are accompanying you or not. So does the PR applicant. The PR applicant only needs to provide photos etc for herself but must list all family specified.
5. Photos? For the application see the photo spec guide. For evidence of relationship, copies may be fine.
6. You do not have to meet minimum income requirements. You will either need the sponsor evaluation or financial evaluation, read the guide carefully and it will let you know which based on your own situation.

Sep 22, 2009
whoopi83 - Thanks for the quick reply. I had been going nuts trying to get answers for these questions.

I have actually read the guides a few times. Maybe its me but i find them to be a bit ambiguous at times. As for the family members, I was under the impression that family member applies only to my wife, not her family (who have no intention of coming to canada!) Am i wrong?

Lylyth

Star Member
Sep 15, 2009
1. You still have to submit the sponsorship forms....are you meaning financially? If so, I think that is either waived for spouse class or you must make at least around 23,000 a year, but not sure, best to contact CIC.
2. I am a CDN citizen and I just put my birthdate.
3. You can not have a co-signer for spouses, this is only for other family classes.
4. Include all pages of the application form...whatever does not apply to you and your wife write in N/A.
5. Not sure about this one, best to get them done at a photo shop because you will need different sized ones for the application and for the medical check.
6. Yes. As far as I am aware you need your Option C.

What I have read through these forums is that if Immigration even minutely suggests you should have something with your application I would have it done. Always best to have more information then less or they may send your paperwork back incomplete.

Good luck with your application =)

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Slowlygoingcrazy said:
whoopi83 - Thanks for the quick reply. I had been going nuts trying to get answers for these questions.

I have actually read the guides a few times. Maybe its me but i find them to be a bit ambiguous at times. As for the family members, I was under the impression that family member applies only to my wife, not her family (who have no intention of coming to canada!) Am i wrong?
The guides are a task by themselves; it took us months to work everything out.

Your wife will need to name her mother father sisters brother etc even if they are NOT going to Canada.

Quick rundown here:

You need to complete (if its outland):

IMM1344A, IMM1344B, IMM5481, IMM5540, IMM5491 and medical condition statement if any children. Guide IMM3900

The PR applicant must complete:

IMM0008, IMM0008 schedule 1, IMM5406, IMM5490. Guide IMM3999. Also read / print as Part 3: Information guides specific to geographic regions.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, PR must submit medical and police certificates with the application.

If either of you miss so much as a signature, your application will be returned and delayed.

Sep 22, 2009
thanks to all those who are helping to restore my sanity.

In regards to the photos i was asking about, i meant the proof of relationship photos, not the photos of the applicant.

regards,

J.

Sep 22, 2009
also, we are thinking of moving to canada by may of next year. what are your recommendations as far as moving and continuing with the application process from within canada, or staying in japan until its done. also, is it possible to move and still keep on with the process? what will happen to her if they say no, and will she be able to retain her passport. suggestions?

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Copies of photos for proof of relationship should be OK - if you can send some genuine with date etc on it may help (not sure).

If you are doing outland then yes you can still return to CA and leave it outland - update your mailing address to the Canadian one. Your wife will have to enter as a visitor (no work etc) and show that she is not planning to remain illegally. This may be difficult.

If your wife remains in Japan and you have continued with outland application you get a right of appeal.

If you move back to Canada and your wife accompanies you (valid visitors visa AND providing the IO believes she does not intened to remain illegally) you could change to inland HOWEVER, you would not have a right of appeal if refused.

There is much about this from some more knowledgeable people than I on this though.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
whoopi83 said:
If you move back to Canada and your wife accompanies you (valid visitors visa AND providing the IO believes she does not intened to remain illegally) you could change to inland HOWEVER, you would not have a right of appeal if refused.
No, that is not correct. You cannot simply switch from an outland to an inland application. They are 2 very different application forms with different requirements. If you did want to switch to an inland application, you would have to cancel your outland application and file a new inland application. I wouldn't suggest that you do that however. Japan is a visa-exempt country, so your wife does not need a visa to come here. She could come here to live and you could continue with your outland application from here.

As for photos, many people scan and put several photos on one page. I sent actual photos on photo paper. Scanning vs. sending actual print photos will not make any difference to your application. It's personal preference so go with what you feel works for you.

Now please stop going crazy! ;-) Don't worry, you will sort it all out. We all did. Best of luck!

Sep 22, 2009
sorry guys, one more question.

on page 12 of the immigrants guide 'details of family members' it says that our family is my wife and i and any children. mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters, are NOT considered family members for the application.

so i only need to included them (father,mother etc..) in the additional family information page right?

as always...

J.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Correct. Her parents and siblings don't go on the PR application form (IMM 0008). But they ARE included in the Additional Family Information page (IMM 5406)