+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a visitor without any driver license attend local driver examination?

jimmyu2011

Apr 29, 2014
My wife is PR and she is applying me as PR through sponsorship. My PR is still under process and I will come to Toronto as visitor soon. I don't have driver license in my home country. So my question is:

Can a visitor without driver license in home country attend the local driver examination to obtain an official driver license in Ontario?

Thanks in advance.
- Jimmy

MechEng.

Star Member
Apr 1, 2014
I believe not. Either one has to show previous driving experience as a full competent driver ( Driver's License in home country) or give G1 , a written exam and have to wait for a certain period (08 months or 1 full year, not sure!) to give G2 exam.

Good luck

Twelfty12

Star Member
Dec 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try posting this in the Visitor forum.

I don't doubt that someone here might be able to answer you, but I imagine you will get a quicker response over there.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visitors-b8.0/

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jimmyu2011 said:
Can a visitor without driver license in home country attend the local driver examination to obtain an official driver license in Ontario?
Absolutely not.

If you don't have a license from your home country, you will need to start driving here the same as any young Canadian just reaching the legal age for driving.

Rules will vary depending on what province you are in. But first step is to read the road rules, and then do a written test to get your learner's permit license. With that, you can then drive only with a fully licensed person in the car with you, and subject to many other rules. After you hold the learner's permit license for a certain time, THEN you can take the full drivers exam to get a full license.

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
Rob_TO said:
Absolutely not.

If you don't have a license from your home country, you will need to start driving here the same as any young Canadian just reaching the legal age for driving.

Rules will vary depending on what province you are in. But first step is to read the road rules, and then do a written test to get your learner's permit license. With that, you can then drive only with a fully licensed person in the car with you, and subject to many other rules. After you hold the learner's permit license for a certain time, THEN you can take the full drivers exam to get a full license.
Even with me having had a license in Sweden for 8 years I was treated like as a young Canadian with no experience. Showed proof of owning cars, but couldn't show anything from my insurance company as I had never had an incident. Had to do it all from scratch, and failed the driver's test twice due to my driver's habits. Apparently you are not allowed to shift gears when you make a turn... lol

Anyhow, if in Ontario, download Ontario G1 test from the app store, after practicing on that I aced the written test in 3 minutes.

cmathslu

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2013
AOR Received.
25-07-2013, AIP and DM Jul 11, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
LANDED..........
Waiting....
You can not, You need to take the exam for G1 drivers license after 8 or one yr experienced and if you are 30 yrs old (new last yr) you can go directly for Full G license exam.