+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a refugee move to another country with PR?

pamela21

Star Member
Jul 12, 2019
Hi, I work at IT remotely and want to go somewhere else to avoid winter. Can I go to stay in a country except for my back home? How long can I stay out of Canada with PR?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You would still need to meet residency obligation if 729 days in Canada in 5 years. You would also need to find someplace that allows you to remain for however long on an RTD. Don't use your home country passport.

Reactions: pamela21

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I work at IT remotely and want to go somewhere else to avoid winter. Can I go to stay in a country except for my back home? How long can I stay out of Canada with PR?
Most countries will only allow you to remain for a limited amount of days (usually up to 3 months). The optics of not being a Canadian resident or tax resident is really bad if you are seeking protection from Canada.

Reactions: pamela21

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
…..taking into account you were ONLY accepted as a refugee a mere 4.5 months ago , and you’re already making plans on leaving the country that gave you refuge . I could be wrong , but the optics of that aren’t that great, not that great at all

And people complain about being stopped by the CBSA on their return to Canada .

WATCHTOWA

Star Member
Jun 18, 2022
You have to love the winter. Very sure you were aware of the winter before seeking refuge here in Canada. I would advise that you consider some other parts of Canada where winter is not always on the extreme.