+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a person with employer specific work permit apply for open work permit?

Schweiz

Feb 7, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of compiling documents to sponsor my husband, who currently has an employer specific work permit (a.k.a. closed work permit) for another 2 years. However, due to uncertainty of his industry during Covid-19, we are thinking of apply for open work permit when I am submitting his sponsorship application.

Has anyone ever done this before?

I am aware that he can apply for an open work permit after we submit sponsorship application, but we don't know how long that will take. So we thought having an open work permit in the back pocket might give us a peace of mind.

I couldn't reach immigration office to get an answer.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of compiling documents to sponsor my husband, who currently has an employer specific work permit (a.k.a. closed work permit) for another 2 years. However, due to uncertainty of his industry during Covid-19, we are thinking of apply for open work permit when I am submitting his sponsorship application.

Has anyone ever done this before?

I am aware that he can apply for an open work permit after we submit sponsorship application, but we don't know how long that will take. So we thought having an open work permit in the back pocket might give us a peace of mind.

I couldn't reach immigration office to get an answer.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Yes you can apply for spousal open work permit if she qualify for one . You can submit work permit application with your spousal application. Note work permit takes around 6-7 months right now to get approved. She can only work for her current employer right now until open work permit is approved.

Reactions: Schweiz