+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a newcomer permanent resident (in 2020) voluntarily file nil income tax return in Canada for previous years (2018, 2019) as non resident?

Nov 5, 2020
Hello,

I am a newcomer permanent resident in Canada (in 2020) interested to sponsor my parents for PR in 2021 which requires me to provide NOA for the last 3 years.

Therefore, wanted to know if I can voluntarily file nil income tax return in Canada for previous years (2018, 2019) as non resident wherein I can report / record income from previous country of residence.

Thanks

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
You can't file for any years that you have not been a resident. Even if you file 0, it won't qualify you as the minimum income needed would be obviously more than 0.

Reactions: globalcitizen1111
Nov 5, 2020
Thank you for your response.

Since you brought up the point about minimum income, as per Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (SOR/2002-227) don't think minimum income needs to be taxable.

Therefore even if I can file income tax return in Canada as a non resident with 0 taxable income can atleast report / disclose / put on CRA records any non-taxable income from previous country of residence which can be considered as minimum income.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Since you brought up the point about minimum income, as per Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (SOR/2002-227) don't think minimum income needs to be taxable.

Therefore even if I can file income tax return in Canada as a non resident with 0 taxable income can atleast report / disclose / put on CRA records any non-taxable income from previous country of residence which can be considered as minimum income.
To be eligible for sponsoring your parents, your gross income (line 150 of NOA) for the 3 years must meet a certain income. If you file 0 for 2018-19, that's clearly makes you ineligible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

It does need to be taxable income for LICO. Think you need to come to terms with the fact that you don;t qualify to sponsor your parents in 2021.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016

Sounds like you're a hustler! But nope. This won't work. Creative ideas though.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,

I am a newcomer permanent resident in Canada (in 2020) interested to sponsor my parents for PR in 2021 which requires me to provide NOA for the last 3 years.

Therefore, wanted to know if I can voluntarily file nil income tax return in Canada for previous years (2018, 2019) as non resident wherein I can report / record income from previous country of residence.

Thanks
Sometimes you seriously, like seriously wonder what is going thru people’s heads ....

• Haha
Reactions: Qwertypod