+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a new live-in caregiver move with her family to Canada?

Mqslevilucas

Sep 8, 2012
I want to bring my sister in as a live-in caregiver to care for my kids when I return to work from mat leave mid- 2013. I know she will treat my kids as her own and they would be raised with my traditions and values through her.
Would her husband, 6 yr old and 16 yr old be able to move here with her?
At what stage of the application should it be mentioned that the whole family would be coming?
Would her husband be able to get a work permit based on her getting one?
Would her kids be allowed to go to school?

Anyone with a similar situation please advise.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Mqslevilucas said:
I want to bring my sister in as a live-in caregiver to care for my kids when I return to work from mat leave mid- 2013. I know she will treat my kids as her own and they would be raised with my traditions and values through her.
Would her husband, 6 yr old and 16 yr old be able to move here with her?
At what stage of the application should it be mentioned that the whole family would be coming?
Would her husband be able to get a work permit based on her getting one?
Would her kids be allowed to go to school?

Anyone with a similar situation please advise.
1. Unlikely, as she would not be able to earn enough to support them on the LIC wages. Accommodation issues.
2. They have to apply for TRV's
3. No, as LIC is unskilled he is not eligible for a spousal work permit.
4. They would be allowed to attend school, but depending on the school district, they may have to pay international fees.
5. I assume your sister has worked as a LIC for at least one year or passed a 6 months course. If not she is not eligible.

ynoweh

Sep 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 21, 2013
Doc's Request.
Jan. 29, 2014 (PCC)
AOR Received.
July 9, 2013
File Transfer...
July 22, 2013
Med's Request
Jan. 29, 2014
Med's Done....
March 1 & 10, 2014 MR Received....: April 3, 2014
Passport Req..
April 12, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
April 16, 2014; VISA Received: April 24, 2014
LANDED..........
May 9, 2014
Hi there! Just to add to PMM's reply, you may want to refer to this link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op14-eng.pdf

(OP 14 – Processing Applicants for Live-in Caregiver Program)

"5.10. Family members who wish to accompany a live-in caregiver on a LCP work permit

Family members do not normally accompany live-in caregivers who are coming to Canada on a LCP work permit. Even when an employer agrees that a family member may reside with the caregiver in the residence of the persons for whom they are providing care, there are no guarantees that any subsequent employer would agree to the same terms. Furthermore, the income of the caregiver may not be sufficient to care for and support their family member(s) in Canada. Live-in caregivers who wish to bring their family member(s) with them while they are on a work permit under the LCP will not be permitted to do so unless they satisfy an officer that they have sufficient funds to care for and support the family member(s) in Canada, the family member(s) are not otherwise inadmissible and they have permission to live in the home of the person(s) for whom they are to provide care."