+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a Manitoba PNP PR move and settle in another province

klemzo

Star Member
Oct 25, 2012
Hi guys,

I got my PR September 2013 through the MNP international student stream and I have being living in Manitoba since 2010 as a student and worker. I got a job in Alberta and relocated January 6th 2014, i was just wondering will this affect my citizenship application since I didn't live in Manitoba for 3 years after I got my PR. Your reply will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will not affect anything because there is no stipulation that says you must live in Manitoba for 3 years after getting PR. Some immigration officers have been telling people that, sometimes 2 years, 3 years or until you get citizenship or possibly even forever but there are no legal basis for such claims.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Charter of Rights and Freedom:

Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right

(a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and

(b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

Paumil

Jun 12, 2015
Sir,

Can a MPNP PR (Sponsored) work outside of MB?

How many months s/he should stay in MB after landing in MB?

If there is no law regarding this, then according to you how much time s/he should stay in MB?

I've asked to many people and immigration lawyer and 98% says that any PNP PR must stay in province for 2-3 years?
Otherwise they won't get Federal PR?

Is it true?

And can MPNP PR work anywhere in Canada after landing in MB?

Please help me.

I really look forward to your response.

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Paumil said:
Sir,

If there is no law regarding this, then according to you how much time s/he should stay in MB?

I've asked to many people and immigration lawyer and 98% says that any PNP PR must stay in province for 2-3 years?

Is it true?

Please help me.

Thanks.
1. They can work outside MB. The charter of rights and freedoms states that a PR can live and work in any province.

2. There is no stipulation for how many months they should stay in MB

3. I would recommend staying for a little more than 6 months because it means you get health care in MB and you fulfill staying your 6 months in a year to be eligible for it so you don't risk getting accused of health care fraud if you use your health care and leave without spending 6 months. Otherwise, you can leave earlier but then you should not use your health card and preferably not even apply for one.

Even though there is no law, you signed a document stating that you intend to settle in MB. If this is not true when you apply and when you land, you could get accused of misrepresentation at some point (lying on your application) and that could lose you your PR. Immigration can however not see into your head to see what your intentions are or were when you applied and landed so you should at least stay for enough time so that it doesn't look like you were already planning to leave when you landed. How much time is up to you but consider that if you leave a week after landing, it will be clear to anybody who ever looks into your case that you were not planning on staying in MB when you landed. However, if you leave after 2 months, you could say that you tried to find a job in MB but were unsuccessful and it would be harder for immigration to prove, should they want to, that you landed with the intention of leaving.

Be aware that if you leave MB, your sponsor will no longer be allowed to sponsor anybody else. This can cause bad feelings between you and your sponsor.

4. Just because 98% of many people say something doesn't mean it is true. Ask those people to point out to you on the CIC website where it says that you must stay for 2-3 years and they can't because it doesn't. Ask them to clarify whether it is 2 or 3 years. Surely, if there is a law, it must be either 2 or 3. That must be clear. There is simply no such law. Further more, there is no difference in the PR you get through MPNP and federal application classes. It is the same PR. There is no such thing as a provincial or federal PR.

5. An MPNP PR is a PR of Canada and can work in any province.

Paumil

Jun 12, 2015
Hi Leon,

I really appreciate your time & efforts.

First of all I'd like to thank you for providing me correct information as well as guidelines what I should do, and now I'm very clear that I'd spend as much as I can in MB.

I'm really thankful to you for providing such correct information. Sir, you've cleared my doubts.

Thanks again.

sabret00the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC: Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Not relevant
App. Filed.......
12-Sep-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
25-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
06-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
31-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jan-2015 (TRV Meds have not yet expired)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Dec 2015
During Landing meeting my wife was told by the CIC officer that if she moved out of NS then CIC would come after her.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sabret00the said:
During Landing meeting my wife was told by the CIC officer that if she moved out of NS then CIC would come after her.
This is simply not true. Why would they come after her?

Did she intend to settle in NS when she applied for PR and when she landed? If she did, she has fulfilled her end of the bargain. There is no agreement in place that says she must stay in NS for a certain amount of time.

Of course nobody should argue about this with the IO when they land because they can refuse your landing if they think you do not intend to stay in your PNP province but if they mention it on a later entry to Canada, you can ask them to tell you which rule or law states that because you would like to know and they will not be able to because there isn't one.

The time that a PNP is required to stay in their PNP province also varies between IO's. Some say it's 2 years, some say 3, some say until you get citizenship and some say forever. If there was a law or a rule, it would be clear how long you would have to stay.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sabret00the said:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/stay-after-pnp-is-mandatory-t373259.0.html

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Paumil said:
Sir,

Is it true?

Please help me.

Thanks.
98% are definitely wrong.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sabret00the said:
First of, you don't see a CIC officer when you land so I am not sure why anyone is speaking on their behalf.

Second, CIC will go after her under which code? They can't, they haven't, and they won't.

johndoebr

Jul 13, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting topic ppl.

It's true, after you get your PR you have freedom to move, many ppl claimed to do that and nobody had problems.

However, my question goes beyond your first few years and this one should be of your concern.

Is it possible to get your Citizenship request or PR renew declined because you did'nt have intention to settle in your PNP?
Do you know anyone who did that and got their requests approved?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johndoebr said:
Interesting topic ppl.

It's true, after you get your PR you have freedom to move, many ppl claimed to do that and nobody had problems.

However, my question goes beyond your first few years and this one should be of your concern.

Is it possible to get your Citizenship request or PR renew declined because you did'nt have intention to settle in your PNP?
Do you know anyone who did that and got their requests approved?
I have never heard of anybody who had a problem because they moved after landing. There is this case on CANLII: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2013/2013canlii99953/2013canlii99953.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQApbm9taW5lZSBwcm92aW5jaWFsIG5vbWluZWUgcHJvZ3JhbSBpbnRlbnQAAAAAAQ&resultIndex=15 where it is mentioned that a person had never lived in their PNP province and this was used against their credibility but not mentioned as a reason why that person lost her PR. She lost her PR due to misrepresentation as she did not declare her son when she immigrated.

It is possible that immigration will at some point start going after people based on misrepresentation if it is obvious that they never intended to settle in their PNP province. Right now, they aren't.

faisalqaseem

Jan 26, 2016
dear, My EOI is accepted in Manitoba and now to apply formally i have to provide a settlement plan duly endorse by a Manitoba friend with a scan copy of his PR card. Please any one help me being my friend and endorse my plan. I may compensate him.
faisalqaseem@gmail.com (please reply before 4th of February, 2016)