+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a kid travel with Visitor Record? Visitor Visa Expired

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hello.
My son has a valid visitor record until 2022. His visitor visa is about to expire in December 2019. I want to apply for his visitor visa within Canada. In this way, reading the instructions in https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-new-temporary-resident-visa-within-canada.html I see they only mention visitor visa application for study permit holder or work permit holder. Literally a visitor record is not a study permit nor work permit. However he got his visitor record sponsored by my work permit. With all this, will he qualify to obtain his visitor visa within Canada?. If yes, according to the instructions...

For the first question “What would you like to do in Canada?”, select
  • “Study” if you have a valid study permit or
  • “Work” if you have a valid work permit
Should I answer Study... based on that he is studying in primary school, or work based on my work permite?

I appreciate your suggestions...
Regards.
1. You have to apply for his TRV on line as out of Canada. He is not eligible to apply in Canada.

cretien

Dec 13, 2014
HI

1. You have to apply for his TRV on line as out of Canada. He is not eligible to apply in Canada.

Thanks for the answer. This was my worst fear, since this puts me in a situation to get my son out of canada and wait until the TRV is approved. Or I better apply for a study permit so he can qualify for the TRV inside Canada. IT is so complicated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the answer. This was my worst fear, since this puts me in a situation to get my son out of canada and wait until the TRV is approved. Or I better apply for a study permit so he can qualify for the TRV inside Canada. IT is so complicated.
Are you leaving Canada? If not there is no need for a valid TRV?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. You just apply on line, the TRV will be processed in the US (or possibly Ottawa) . Once it is approved, they will request your passport, you send it, they insert TRV and return it to you. Pretty simple, as he has valid status in Canada, he doesn't have to leave.

sandipgoswami

Star Member
Jul 9, 2019
First of all, thank you so much to share your information. Finally, I got my daughter's passport request in Canada. She has visitor record for three years, but I was not able to apply TRV inside a Canada so I read post note here he has suggested that to pass eligibility question select other country so I have selected "USA" but while filling the form that time I entered Canada address on the current resident section. I got visa approval within two weeks. If anyone has the same confuse please let me know I will help to apply TRV in Canada who has a visitor record. Moreover, I have uploaded one clarification letter on my daughter's application. you can reach me at sandipgoswami@gmail.com for more details.

sandipgoswami

Star Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hello.
My son has a valid visitor record until 2022. His visitor visa is about to expire in December 2019. I want to apply for his visitor visa within Canada. In this way, reading the instructions in https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-new-temporary-resident-visa-within-canada.html I see they only mention visitor visa application for study permit holder or work permit holder. Literally a visitor record is not a study permit nor work permit. However he got his visitor record sponsored by my work permit. With all this, will he qualify to obtain his visitor visa within Canada?. If yes, according to the instructions...

For the first question “What would you like to do in Canada?”, select
  • “Study” if you have a valid study permit or
  • “Work” if you have a valid work permit
Should I answer Study... based on that he is studying in primary school, or work based on my work permite?

I appreciate your suggestions...
Regards.
Please contact me because I had the same situation what you have right now. my email address is sandipgoswami@gmail.com.

Tuyenlieu

Dec 14, 2022
hi, I am the same stiuation. My son’s visa is expired on Nov 2022.I also tried to apply new for him but the tool did not permit me for processing because I selected inside canada. So you mean I need to submit outside Canada while we are living in Ca? When you got the passport requested email,where to send it ? Is it in Ottawa or from VAC center in your country? Please help. Thank you so much

sandipgoswami

Star Member
Jul 9, 2019
hi, I am the same stiuation. My son’s visa is expired on Nov 2022.I also tried to apply new for him but the tool did not permit me for processing because I selected inside canada. So you mean I need to submit outside Canada while we are living in Ca? When you got the passport requested email,where to send it ? Is it in Ottawa or from VAC center in your country? Please help. Thank you so much
1) what your son current visa?
2) when your visa going to expire and what is your current status?

Tuyenlieu

Dec 14, 2022
1) what your son current visa?
2) when your visa going to expire and what is your current status?
yes. He got vistor record until next 3 years. But his visa was expired on Nov 24,2022.
My visa has already been extended until next 3 years according with my work permit. My husband got the same period.
We already booked a flight ticket that back to my country on Jan 22, 2023. This ticket is not transferable..and no change. Does everyone apply visa outside Canada while still stay at Ca ? Is it ok? Thank you so much for all your help.

sandipgoswami

Star Member
Jul 9, 2019
yes. He got vistor record until next 3 years. But his visa was expired on Nov 24,2022.
My visa has already been extended until next 3 years according with my work permit. My husband got the same period.
We already booked a flight ticket that back to my country on Jan 22, 2023. This ticket is not transferable..and no change. Does everyone apply visa outside Canada while still stay at Ca ? Is it ok? Thank you so much for all your help.
Hi, could you please send me sandipgoswami@gmail.com. so I can you give me number.

Mar 18, 2024
Hello Experts

My wife is in student VISA and my kid was on Visitor VISA. My Kid's VISA and permit as Visitor expired 17 Jan 2019. We had applied for her extension on Sept 2018 and we got Visitor Record till 30th Sept 2019.

On April, we are planning travel to India, I am concerned - Can she travel to India and re-enter Canada without valid VISA stamped on her passport?

I tried to apply for fresh Visitor VISA for her, every time I complete the eligibility check, it shows for Visitor extension - which I believe the same process we have already done to extend her stay. Provides form IMM5708e to fill up.

Please advise if she can travel and re-enter Canada. If not, what is the best option for us now to get her VISA?

Hi Anurag,
i am currently in the same situation. Want to know what was the out come of your trip. were you guys able to get the visa in time in india ?
am confused whether we should cancel our trip or take chances.

regards
vaibhav