+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calling CIC outland - TextNow doesn't work outside of US and Canada

shlambent

Oct 22, 2018
Hello,

I'm interested in calling CIC, but recently they've changed their policies so that you can only directly call them (888-242-2100) if you are calling from Canada. Are there any apps other than TextNow that can make it look like you are calling from Canada?

There have been a few threads about using the TextNow app to change your phone number to have a Canadian area code, so that it looks like you're calling from within Canada.

In the past hour, however, I haven't been able to use the app and my account has been closed multiple times because TextNow is able to see that I'm using it outside of the US - currently they only allow you to use it in the US or Canada. I've disabled location services on my phone, and I've tried using the web browser version, but it doesn't work.

I was wondering if there are other apps people outside of the US and Canada have been using to call the CIC?

Thanks!

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Fongo will work

warpeduniverse

Apr 28, 2019
Hello,

I'm interested in calling CIC, but recently they've changed their policies so that you can only directly call them (888-242-2100) if you are calling from Canada. Are there any apps other than TextNow that can make it look like you are calling from Canada?

There have been a few threads about using the TextNow app to change your phone number to have a Canadian area code, so that it looks like you're calling from within Canada.

In the past hour, however, I haven't been able to use the app and my account has been closed multiple times because TextNow is able to see that I'm using it outside of the US - currently they only allow you to use it in the US or Canada. I've disabled location services on my phone, and I've tried using the web browser version, but it doesn't work.

I was wondering if there are other apps people outside of the US and Canada have been using to call the CIC?

Thanks!
Which country are you from? TextNow works is working in India. I have taken a virtual local number.

shlambent

Oct 22, 2018
I'm in Indonesia. I tried routing everything through a VPN, and it still didn't work.

I'm trying Fongo now!

shlambent

Oct 22, 2018
OMG FONGO WORKS!!!!!!! You do have to pay the app but it's like $5 so it's no big deal.

I found this thread about how to get directed to the operator line - after the language section, dial 3-4-1-0.

Currently waiting on the line...

Question - would the call agent be annoyed because I'm calling outside of Canada? Because of my situation, I *have* to tell them that I'm currently outside of Canada.