+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calgary Landing Experience - December 2019

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
Thought I would briefly share my landing experience yesterday. Slightly different from what I expected compared to other landing reports so would be interested to hear any thoughts.

I flew into YYC from London Gatwick on 31 December. I wanted to start the new year as a PR! I was in premium economy so was one of the first off the plane, this would have had an immigration advantage had I played things right.

Hint - when getting to the baggage area in YYC, look to the far left wall and you will see a clear glass area with a big 'E'. This is the immigration area. If it looks to be quite busy, go there BEFORE picking your bags and take a ticket. This will save time provided that there are enough people ahead of you to give you time to pick up your bags before your number is called. I didn't need my bags for the immigration part so even if it isn't busy you can probably do the landing before picking up bags.

As it happens, I waited for my bags and then headed to the immigration area. I took ticket number 99 and the officers were currently serving number 77. Many people from my flight had gone straight to the immigration area and some had ticket numbers in the low 80s. It took about 45 minutes to get to my ticket.

I went up to the booth and handed over my customs declaration, passport and CoPR. The officer nonchalently asked me three questions...

- Have you been convicted of a criminal offence?
- Do you have any illegal drugs in your possession?
- Do you have a wife or children?

I answered no to all of these and he then signed both copies of my CoPR in several places and asked me to do the same. He then stamped both copies where they were signed. He didn't ask me for proof of funds or any other supporting documentation.

He told me I was now a permanent resident and that I'll get a card in due course. I asked him if he needed my Canada address and he said I had to update this online (I expected him to do this?). Maybe he was rushing things through as it was new years eve! I also asked him if I could travel and return to the US by road before I get my card and he said that as long as I take the signed CoPR I will be fine.

All in all it took 5 minutes at the booth and I that was it.

Still can't believe I am typing this from Calgary...my dream of many years has now been realised.

Tess007

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Thought I would briefly share my landing experience yesterday. Slightly different from what I expected compared to other landing reports so would be interested to hear any thoughts.

I flew into YYC from London Gatwick on 31 December. I wanted to start the new year as a PR! I was in premium economy so was one of the first off the plane, this would have had an immigration advantage had I played things right.

Hint - when getting to the baggage area in YYC, look to the far left wall and you will see a clear glass area with a big 'E'. This is the immigration area. If it looks to be quite busy, go there BEFORE picking your bags and take a ticket. This will save time provided that there are enough people ahead of you to give you time to pick up your bags before your number is called. I didn't need my bags for the immigration part so even if it isn't busy you can probably do the landing before picking up bags.

As it happens, I waited for my bags and then headed to the immigration area. I took ticket number 99 and the officers were currently serving number 77. Many people from my flight had gone straight to the immigration area and some had ticket numbers in the low 80s. It took about 45 minutes to get to my ticket.

I went up to the booth and handed over my customs declaration, passport and CoPR. The officer nonchalently asked me three questions...

I answered no to all of these and he then signed both copies of my CoPR in several places and asked me to do the same. He then stamped both copies where they were signed. He didn't ask me for proof of funds or any other supporting documentation.

He told me I was now a permanent resident and that I'll get a card in due course. I asked him if he needed my Canada address and he said I had to update this online (I expected him to do this?). Maybe he was rushing things through as it was new years eve! I also asked him if I could travel and return to the US by road before I get my card and he said that as long as I take the signed CoPR I will be fine.

Still can't believe I am typing this from Calgary...my dream of many years has now been realised.
Congratulations

Mglhunter

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018

Congrats and welcome to the freezer.