PER 14-01-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
14-01-2015
Med's Request
26-06-2015
Med's Done....
30-06-2015..SLU 21-07-15(Medical result received)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2015
LANDED..........
06-11-2015
Please i am planning to land in Canada October 2015 and i am hooked in between settling in Calgary and Saskatoon with regards to which one has jobs more,affordable house rent and prospect for career development and the city that has huge cultural integration and diversity.

ratul2k14

Aug 21, 2014
Ottawa
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-08-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-15
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14-05-15
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-15
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
How is ALBERTA's economy doing with the recent down in Oil Market?

Axel parker

Jul 11, 2015
Hello everyone i'm new joiner.
calgary and saskatoon which is better to settle topic is interesting topic.
i think i can help you.

santosh1984

Jul 13, 2015
Hello all,

I recently got my PR visa to canada and am planning to land there after some months. I really need your help. What are the initials i should take before landing to Canada? Also,i have made my research for the city i think is better place for new comers; Edmonton or Calgary? Now i can't decide which one is better to live for us. Have got no one there that we know, except one of my brother's friend in Edmonto.

So, can anybody help be decide what's better?

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is my opinion to everyone who is considering where to land. Hope it helps

Currently the market in Calgary is struggling a little bit given the world price of oil which has impacted the job market in the city. However if you are looking for general work, not in your area of education, i believe you will still be able to find something that helps you survive while you do your exam and transfer your education. I have also lived in Saskatoon for quite sometime (5 years) and I know that city, I really think that it's a nice city but I can see it being boring to someone new as it was to me at first but then i liked it. I think Saskatoon is a great place to start because it's small and initial documents are a little cheaper (driver license is cheap to obtain) But if you have a person who is willing to help you in another city i suggest maybe start there cuz you will def need help upon arriving.

The housing market in Calgary and in Saskatoon is relatively similar (Calgary one bedroom apartment downtown average is $1300-1500. Saskatoon $1000-$1400). You will be able to find a place to live, here is a website you can browse it is very popular in Canada for all sort of buying and selling used things as well as house rental. I recommend you use it often once you live here

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-apartments-condos/calgary/c37l1700199

On this website you can select the city you are in and then search the market.

Again, I think it might be a good idea for you to consider landing in Saskatoon and establish yourself. I understand it's a boring city but its size will make the experience of arriving less overwhelming. You can easily apply for a driver's license there and do the test. I am not sure how soon you have to convert your license to Canadian one after arrival but the total cost if you have a driver license from back home will be around $100 in Saskatoon compared to $400 in Calgary (maybe a little less, but Calgary is usually more expensive)

I also suggest you visit these websites

http://www.centrefornewcomers.ca/living_calgary.shtml

http://www.nicstoon.org/

http://www.sods.sk.ca/

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil131c-eng.htm

So to summarize things I think Calgary is a nice city and all, but it could be overwhelming to a new person to the country. I personally think that having someone in the city who can help you figure your way around is a great asset. And so if you don't have a job lined up in Calgary, and you still have to do your education transfer to Canadian equivalent. I suggest that you land in Saskatoon, obtain a health card, driver's license, learn the culture and adjust slowly to the new country rather than rushing yourself into the big city like Calgary. Saskatoon is gorgeous in the summer and also has a good job market and perhaps in the current oil prices better market than Calgary. In the future once you have done your education transfer and gained experience you can apply for jobs in Calgary and hopefully get something great and make a move to a bigger city.

Good luck!

santosh1984

Jul 13, 2015
Hello friends,

Concerning the job opportunities, which is better place to land among Edmonton, Calgary and Saskatoon? I have been working in the field of computer networking and IT officer in Bank despite my Bachelor's degree in Electronics and Communication.

Also, if i want to do my further study in my related field, which place ( among the mentioned above) is best?

Really want your opinion and advice.

Thank You.

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
Currently Saskatoon has a better job market than Calgary.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Now Alberta is down due to low oil price. Many people are laid off in Alberta.

Summerr

Jun 28, 2010
Ontario
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14 NOV 2013
Doc's Request.
15 May 2014(reminder mail) and 11 June 2014(specifics)
Nomination.....
1 Oct 2013
AOR Received.
7 January 2014
IELTS Request
Not Required
Med's Request
7 January 2014
Interview........
No Interview but Decision Made on July 7
LANDED..........
Inland
Alberta is down and is likely to remain down for years to come. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are good places to start as newcomers to Canada.

ahmed5

Sep 7, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24 - 12 - 2014
Nomination.....
PER 21 - 03 - 2015
AOR Received.
11 - 05 - 2015
IELTS Request
8 ( send with application )
Med's Request
06 - 08 - 2015
Med's Done....
11 - 08 -2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13 - 10 - 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18- 10 - 2015
LANDED..........
09 / 02 / 2016
Go for saskatoon.

It may be a bit boring , but who cares ? You can have entertainment at home ;D

brc

Aug 17, 2015
Hello,

I am having also trouble to have a decision about living in Saskatoon. I found a postion in UofS but not sure about living expenses. Do you know how much do I need to live in saskatoon as a single person?

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it depends on the type of accommodations. If you want a place of your own be prepared to pay more than $1000-$1200 for single bedroom a month in a good area. Saskatoon is small so really if you stick to the east side of the city you will be fine. Maybe downtown too, but there is nothing special about living there. If you don't to buy a car make sure you are on the bus route that goes to campus, although a car is strongly recommended for groceries and what not.

Spending is up to you and what type of living style you would like to have. A comfortable life style will probably cost you an additional $700 - $1000. it depends how often you eat out and what type of activities you like to do. Plus car and car insurance as well as car payments (if you decide to lease a car). SK is great for someone just starting in Canada, most services are government run therefore you don't need a history to qualify for cheap rates.

Source: Lived in stoon for 5 years

brc

Aug 17, 2015
Thanks @ SKguy, you really helped me for my decision. I got that about 2.500 per month will be good enough to move. Do you think I can rent a furnitured condo before moving there by contacting the owners or landlords? Also I am thinking of renting a room, and in Kijii most of are basements. Do you suggest basements to rent (safety and cold). And also I looked at Kijii for a car a bit and even 2nd hand cars are very expensive, dont know whether I can afford it or not. Anyway where I live now is not snowy, so can you suggest me any tip for the car ?