+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calgary and Saskatoon which is better to settle

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suggest you wait until you get there then search for a car. Search for 1990s cars those are usually cheaper. Try to get a car with winter tires but make sure the car has a block heater cord (when it's -20 or higher you need to plug in your engine to keep your engine oil from freezing. I recommend Japanese cars). You can try to rent a place through Kijiji but I would advice not to send any money but rather say you will be there on a certain date if they would hold the place for you, i know that's more difficult but it's safer for you. Maybe suggest paying a "hold fee" then full amount upon arrival. Make sure you get a lease from the landlord and what does your rent payment include.

If you find a place near 8th street that is close to a university bus route, those would be good for you until you buy a car. Also 8th street has a lot of grocery stores

brc

Aug 17, 2015
@SKguy, you are so kind, thank you for all these information. I have one last ( I guess ) question. Do you recomment me to rent a basement? I guess in winter, basements can be cold but I am not sure with it. I have never stayed in a basement before.

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
they could be cooler. but if it's a finished basement with good sealed windows it should be fine.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
How is the cost of living in Calgary now, after oil recession?

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
More leverage to negotiate rent or buy a place. Nothing changed in terms of everyday essentials. Gas is still $1.2 o_O

ttrajan said:
How is the cost of living in Calgary now, after oil recession?

favoured1

May 22, 2015
App. Filed.......
03-01-2016
Doc's Request.
19-05-2016
SKguy
Its so good to have someone give real advice to intending immigrants.
I have some similar questions: Can you also compare saskatoon and regina? Is there much difference in the two cities?
I have no idea how considerable the cost of car insurance and fueling will be. So I'm thinking if its possible to get along without buying/leasing a car - at least for a few months for a family of 4 (myself, wife and 2 kids with ages 7 and 5).
And generally, what do you think is the average living cost for a family of 4

Thanks in advance

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I prefer Saskatoon more than Regina. Regina is the capital but Saskatoon is the bigger city and is nicer in my opinion. The cost of living is the same for both cities. Overall i would recommend Saskatoon.

Car insurance depends on the type of the car, but it's not very expensive compared to rest of Canada because it's government insurance. If you have a driver license from back home make sure to bring it as it will help you avoid driving school and just do the road test. Since your kids are young i recommend buying a car for sure, public transportation is okay but it makes the trip much longer. You can buy a used car from a dealer or from Kijiji a website for buying and selling second hand things

Cost of living depends on where you rent, i recommend renting by 8 street E in Saskatoon, many grocery stores and service stores are near by. A family of four with two kids that young you probably could rent a two bedroom apartment which would be around $1500 a month. Make sure the landlord allows kids. You can use kijiji to search for places but NEVER give/send money online until you are there and in person and always obtain a receipt

favoured1 said:
SKguy
Its so good to have someone give real advice to intending immigrants.
I have some similar questions: Can you also compare saskatoon and regina? Is there much difference in the two cities?
I have no idea how considerable the cost of car insurance and fueling will be. So I'm thinking if its possible to get along without buying/leasing a car - at least for a few months for a family of 4 (myself, wife and 2 kids with ages 7 and 5).
And generally, what do you think is the average living cost for a family of 4

Thanks in advance

favoured1

May 22, 2015
App. Filed.......
03-01-2016
Doc's Request.
19-05-2016
SKguy said:
I prefer Saskatoon more than Regina. Regina is the capital but Saskatoon is the bigger city and is nicer in my opinion. The cost of living is the same for both cities. Overall i would recommend Saskatoon.

Car insurance depends on the type of the car, but it's not very expensive compared to rest of Canada because it's government insurance. If you have a driver license from back home make sure to bring it as it will help you avoid driving school and just do the road test. Since your kids are young i recommend buying a car for sure, public transportation is okay but it makes the trip much longer. You can buy a used car from a dealer or from Kijiji a website for buying and selling second hand things

Cost of living depends on where you rent, i recommend renting by 8 street E in Saskatoon, many grocery stores and service stores are near by. A family of four with two kids that young you probably could rent a two bedroom apartment which would be around $1500 a month. Make sure the landlord allows kids. You can use kijiji to search for places but NEVER give/send money online until you are there and in person and always obtain a receipt
Thanks a lot. You are an angel

Voyager2014

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Friends

I got SK nomination and in the process o PR application now. I am also planning for Sktoon. I have read that Sktoon is boring. I just want to know in what all aspects it boring. Pls reply

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What exactly are you wondering about? it's a small 250K city. Not a young people town per say but it's nice for families because everything is so close making it easier to run errands.

And by the way the nickname is Stoon town ;D

Voyager2014

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot SKguy. Thats all I need to know.

If good for family, I am more than happy :)

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
SKguy,
Can you shed some light on health care in Stoon town :)
I have SK nomination and hoping to move with my wife (no kids yet) sometime this year.
We will be planning to have kids after settling down. What can we expect in that regards as per health system?

Also, I''ve looked around on kijiji but there are not alot of apartments that do 1-2 week rentals. We wouldn't want to commit to a place we may not like

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I def. recommend you being there to view the place before you commit to anything. The rental market in Stoon right now can be considered "renter's market" and usually there is more options during the spring/summer as many students leave.

As for health care, Stoon have three major hospitals (St Paul, City Hospital and University Hospital) in addition to walk-in clinics or GP clinics. Most surgeries take place at uni and st paul. I never really had babies to share my experience with you haha, however the health care quality in Saskatoon is on par to other Canadian cities and provinces i wouldn't worry about that. Just do some research for a family doctor (link below) basically find the doctor you like (some might speak your language) and research their name online to get some reviews if that makes you feel more comfortable. Once you decide on one, you can direct all your baby related questions to them :)

https://www.saskatoonhealthregion.ca/patients/Pages/Doctors-Taking-Patients.aspx

hope this helps
One_Topsy said:
SKguy,
Can you shed some light on health care in Stoon town :)
I have SK nomination and hoping to move with my wife (no kids yet) sometime this year.
We will be planning to have kids after settling down. What can we expect in that regards as per health system?

Also, I''ve looked around on kijiji but there are not alot of apartments that do 1-2 week rentals. We wouldn't want to commit to a place we may not like

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
SKguy said:
I def. recommend you being there to view the place before you commit to anything. The rental market in Stoon right now can be considered "renter's market" and usually there is more options during the spring/summer as many students leave.

As for health care, Stoon have three major hospitals (St Paul, City Hospital and University Hospital) in addition to walk-in clinics or GP clinics. Most surgeries take place at uni and st paul. I never really had babies to share my experience with you haha, however the health care quality in Saskatoon is on par to other Canadian cities and provinces i wouldn't worry about that. Just do some research for a family doctor (link below) basically find the doctor you like (some might speak your language) and research their name online to get some reviews if that makes you feel more comfortable. Once you decide on one, you can direct all your baby related questions to them :)

https://www.saskatoonhealthregion.ca/patients/Pages/Doctors-Taking-Patients.aspx

hope this helps
Thanks mate!