Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Engg companies are laying off people now. Oil price also coming down. Not good for new engineers.

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
ttrajan said:
Engg companies are laying off people now. Oil price also coming down. Not good for new engineers.
Which city in Canada are you planning to land ttrajan or have you already landed?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
I was in Edmonton. Now back to India since oil and gas market is very dull now and companies are laying off engineers and designers. Looks like next year also will be very bad as well.

Veejay

Star Member
Nov 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2014
AOR Received.
07-03-2014
Hi Rajan,
What was ur profile and when u r planning to go back there?
How much months/years u were in Edmonton?

God Bless u..

Cheers
Vj

ttrajan said:
I was in Edmonton. Now back to India since oil and gas market is very dull now and companies are laying off engineers and designers. Looks like next year also will be very bad as well.

Cocodio

Star Member
Aug 6, 2014
Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
Submitted with Application
Nomination.....
PER received on 05-06-2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2014
LANDED..........
June 2015
amro375 said:
I am living almost a year in Calgary so this is my experience:

Southwest is the best place to live but by far more expensive then the rest.
Depends on where you would live here, but it is well developed... I find it very quiet and convenient. Really good settlements here.

Southeast - not many rentals here. Usually most of the rentals are for houses and out of the reach for new emigrants. But there are some very good neighborhoods here, not very crowded, not many people, quiet.

In my opinion in Southeast most of the people are Canadians as compared to NE where most of them are Pakistani/Indians.

NW - Have not been many times here. It has a lot of population.

NE - the worst part of the city to live in. No offence... but is seems like you are in the middle east.
It has some good thing as rent is cheaper, almost everything is cheaper here. You can always find plummer or mechanic that will do the same job twice cheaper than somebody in SE/SW.
If you are indian/pakistani you will feel like home. Many asian groceries stores, many halal stores, 2 mosques...
But this is very dynamic part of the city, overcrowded, noisy by canadian standards:) also unsafe but again by canadian standard... no depends where do you come from. I don't like this part much... as it feel dirty/unsafe, but it is a good start for newcomers...
Thank you very much for the information.

xxx21202

Star Member
Mar 20, 2014
CANADA
;D

Hi all Calgirians,

I am also planning to get my 1st job there and prepared to fight serious winters.

hope this thread will help us all in matters reg:

1)Rentals
2)Jobs
3)Health
4) and most important Education.

Regards.
;D

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
I am a civil engineer and worked in Edmonton for the last two years. Planning to come back early next year.

Veejay said:
Hi Rajan,
What was ur profile and when u r planning to go back there?
How much months/years u were in Edmonton?

God Bless u..

Cheers
Vj

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
HomeCanada14 said:
Thanks for the info, Amro!

How's job markets in Calgary currently? I am in accounting sector btw:)
Don't really know as I have closed work permit and I am not allowed to work for other employee, therefore I am not really flowing the job market.

From what I can see on the streets and in the malls there are lot of jobs for non-professional, if you want to work for the minimal wage you can always find job in restaurants, shops, markets, malls...

City is developing rapidly and more and more people are coming, there is shortage of workers but from day to day everything is more expensive.

In my opinion Edmonton is better for newcomers as rent is cheaper, so unless you are planing in working in oil companies or have some very good professional occupation choose Edmonton.

Now... Calgary is better looking than Edmonton... but if you are newcomer that is the last think you will think of.

HomeCanada14

Apr 27, 2014
amro375 said:
Don't really know as I have closed work permit and I am not allowed to work for other employee, therefore I am not really flowing the job market.

From what I can see on the streets and in the malls there are lot of jobs for non-professional, if you want to work for the minimal wage you can always find job in restaurants, shops, markets, malls...

City is developing rapidly and more and more people are coming, there is shortage of workers but from day to day everything is more expensive.

In my opinion Edmonton is better for newcomers as rent is cheaper, so unless you are planing in working in oil companies or have some very good professional occupation choose Edmonton.

Now... Calgary is better looking than Edmonton... but if you are newcomer that is the last think you will think of.
I see. From the newspapers, Calgary seems to be the best place for new starters but it may not seem all that good in this global economy. I have been living in Australia for over 10 years but economy there is also not that great as mining boom is slowing down past 4 years.

I saw someone got a job at first interview in Edmonton. I wonder if the job market is better over there or he was one lucky guy. If anyone here are already in Calgary or Edmonton, please share job market situation here. That would be much helpful!

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Not good for oil and gas Industry in alberta. Most of the Engg companies are laying off people now.

HomeCanada14

Apr 27, 2014
ttrajan said:
Not good for oil and gas Industry in alberta. Most of the Engg companies are laying off people now.
I see. Is this a recent trend from 2014 or has this been going on for the past few years?

What are the other industries in Calgary/Alberta?

Mbaka

Star Member
May 19, 2014
we landed on calgary on the 17th of sept and came back to the middle east on the 6th of October. life in calgary seems to be quite easy and comfy. for the 2 weeks we stayed my kids were enrolled intoa nearby school and they enjoyed it. School starts by 8:55am and then closes at about 3:30 or there about. we applied for our SIN the next day at Malbourough mall and also applied for our Health cards. you need to book an appointment prior time to get your kids registeered in the wg=hich ever school that you prefer. i got my appointment even before landing. :p..yes we did! it was not easy for us but we landed on the 17th and met with CCSD on the 18th. our kids were posted to the school closer to our home, just a walking distance.. we wanted to wait a little bit but you wont believ it that on the 19th the principal of the school called us on our friends number to ask why the kids were not in school. ;D so the kids resumed school on the 19th.

we did a whole lot of research on schools before we left to calgary, the particular school that we wanted was far from where we were staying, they insisted that unless we get an apartment in that area we cannot get a place in the school. most "good" schools are under restricted enrollment. so the kids had to stay at the neighbourhood school.

most amenities are subsidised for the low income earners. breakfast in school for kids that could not have one at home. :)

lots of mistakes on our health cards, we took them back to them and they rectified them.

job hunting kicked off immedaitely...got to interviews but was not successful.. :-[

settlement workers are alway there to help, guide and advise you. ensure you signed in for one as they are alway quite helpful. they will put you through on anything you need to know as a new immigrant.

we opened account with Bnak of Montreal, paid in our draft... the draft was payable in bank of montreal... the handling charge is 14CAD ND THAT CAN BE WAIVED if you insist....

more info will roll in as we move on....

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
Mbaka said:
we did a whole lot of research on schools before we left to calgary, the particular school that we wanted was far from where we were staying, they insisted that unless we get an apartment in that area we cannot get a place in the school. most "good" schools are under restricted enrollment. so the kids had to stay at the neighbourhood school.
Pls list all the better schools in Calgary. I am looking to enroll my child in school in the coming days.

DD-Rum

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2014
Doc's Request.
Nil
Nomination.....
17-03-2014
File Transfer...
17-03-2014
Med's Request
22-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Passport Req..
18-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
9-12-2014
LANDED..........
Q1 2015
ttrajan said:
Don't worry about that, it is not your portion. Great men make their fortunes during economic downturn, so take advantage of this opportunity.

HomeCanada14

Apr 27, 2014
Mbaka said:
we landed on calgary on the 17th of sept and came back to the middle east on the 6th of October. life in calgary seems to be quite easy and comfy. for the 2 weeks we stayed my kids were enrolled intoa nearby school and they enjoyed it. School starts by 8:55am and then closes at about 3:30 or there about. we applied for our SIN the next day at Malbourough mall and also applied for our Health cards. you need to book an appointment prior time to get your kids registeered in the wg=hich ever school that you prefer. i got my appointment even before landing. :p..yes we did! it was not easy for us but we landed on the 17th and met with CCSD on the 18th. our kids were posted to the school closer to our home, just a walking distance.. we wanted to wait a little bit but you wont believ it that on the 19th the principal of the school called us on our friends number to ask why the kids were not in school. ;D so the kids resumed school on the 19th.

most amenities are subsidised for the low income earners. breakfast in school for kids that could not have one at home. :)

lots of mistakes on our health cards, we took them back to them and they rectified them.

job hunting kicked off immedaitely...got to interviews but was not successful.. :-[

settlement workers are alway there to help, guide and advise you. ensure you signed in for one as they are alway quite helpful. they will put you through on anything you need to know as a new immigrant.

we opened account with Bnak of Montreal, paid in our draft... the draft was payable in bank of montreal... the handling charge is 14CAD ND THAT CAN BE WAIVED if you insist....

more info will roll in as we move on....
Thanks for sharing the info! :-* I am very impressed that you did research well before landing. It is a good sign that you already had interviews while you are staying. I am sure you will find a job in your field. Best of luck!